Can Tho - Vacation Briefing
Can Tho is a bustling city located in the heart of the Mekong Delta region in Vietnam. Known for its intricate network of canals, vibrant floating markets, and lush rice paddies, Can Tho offers a unique glimpse into Vietnamese culture and tradition. Visitors can take a boat tour along the winding waterways, witnessing the daily lives of locals and enjoying the picturesque scenery. The city is also famous for its delicious local cuisine, particularly the mouth-watering rice noodle soup called 'banh cuon'. With its friendly locals and charming atmosphere, Can Tho is a must-visit destination in Vietnam.
Popular Sights in Can Tho
Things to do during your Can Tho vacation
Can Tho is a picturesque city located in the heart of the Mekong Delta in southern Vietnam. Known for its bustling floating markets, lush rice paddies, and vibrant culture, Can Tho offers a unique and authentic experience for travelers. Whether you're a nature lover, foodie, or history enthusiast, there are plenty of things to do in Can Tho.
- Cai Rang Floating Market: Visit the largest floating market in the Mekong Delta and witness the vibrant atmosphere as local traders buy and sell goods from their boats.
- Ride a Sampan Boat: Take a traditional wooden boat ride along the canal network and enjoy the scenic views of the countryside and rural life.
- Explore the Mekong River Delta: Embark on a full-day tour to explore the Mekong River Delta, visiting nearby islands, fruit orchards, and traditional craft villages.
- Visit the Can Tho Museum: Learn about the history and culture of Can Tho through the exhibits at the Can Tho Museum, which showcases artifacts and photographs.
- Taste local street food: Indulge in the flavors of Can Tho by trying local street food specialties such as Banh Mi, Banh Cong, and Bun Rieu.
- Cycle through the countryside: Rent a bicycle and explore the countryside around Can Tho, cycling through rice paddies, small villages, and scenic paths.
- Visit the Binh Thuy Ancient House: Step back in time and explore the beautifully preserved Binh Thuy Ancient House, a traditional Vietnamese house with French architectural influences.
- Take a River Cruise: Enjoy a relaxing river cruise along the Can Tho River, taking in the scenic views and enjoying the fresh breeze.
- Visit Ong Temple: Discover the rich spiritual heritage of Can Tho by visiting Ong Temple, a Chinese-style temple dedicated to the deity of wealth.
- Explore the Can Tho Night Market: Experience the vibrant atmosphere of the Can Tho Night Market, where you can find local handicrafts, clothes, souvenirs, and street food.
- Try Vietnamese Coffee: Savor a cup of traditional Vietnamese coffee at a local café, known for its strong flavor and unique brewing process.
Why you should visit Can Tho
Can Tho, Viet Nam is a decent destination with some interesting attractions, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.
Can Tho, Viet Nam has a moderate safety rating. While the city is generally safe, it's advisable to take precautions and stay vigilant, particularly in crowded areas.
Can Tho, Viet Nam has a rich cultural heritage, with numerous historical sites, museums, and a vibrant food scene. It's a great destination for those interested in immersing themselves in Vietnamese culture.
Can Tho, Viet Nam offers a decent nightlife scene with a few bars and clubs to explore. However, it may not be as vibrant or diverse as some other destinations.
Can Tho, Viet Nam offers limited adventure activities. While you can enjoy boat trips and cycling tours in the nearby areas, it may not be the ideal destination for thrill-seekers or those looking for extreme adventure sports.
Can Tho, Viet Nam offers some relaxing experiences such as boat tours along the Mekong Delta, exploring the floating markets, and enjoying the tranquility of the countryside. However, it may not have as many pristine beaches or natural retreats compared to other destinations.
Best time to visit Can Tho
The best time to travel to Can Tho, Vietnam, is from December to April. During these months, the weather is dry and pleasant, making it ideal for exploring the city's attractions and taking boat tours along the Mekong Delta. However, it's important to note that this is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices.
A guide To your first day of Can Tho vacation
- * Visit the Cai Rang Floating Market, one of the most iconic markets in the Mekong Delta region. Experience the lively atmosphere as you explore the market and interact with the local vendors.
- * Take a boat tour along the Hau River and witness the beautiful scenery of the surrounding countryside. Enjoy the tranquility and get a glimpse of the local way of life.
- * Explore the Can Tho Museum to learn about the history, culture, and traditions of the region. Discover the artifacts, exhibitions, and informative displays that showcase the local heritage.
- * Visit the Binh Thuy Ancient House, a well-preserved traditional Vietnamese mansion. Admire the intricate architecture and stroll through the lush gardens.
- * Take a leisurely walk along Ninh Kieu Wharf and enjoy the scenic views of the Hau River. Watch the sunset and relax in one of the riverside cafes or restaurants.
- * Experience the vibrant night market of Can Tho, where you can indulge in delicious street food, shop for souvenirs, and enjoy live performances.
- * Embark on a night cruise along the Hau River and marvel at the illuminated bridges and city skyline. Enjoy a romantic dinner on board and immerse yourself in the enchanting ambiance.
- * Visit the Ong Temple, a Chinese pagoda with stunning architecture and beautiful decorations. Witness the locals' religious rituals and soak in the spiritual atmosphere.
How to get to Can Tho
Can Tho International Airport (VCA) is the main airport serving Can Tho, Viet Nam. It offers limited international connections, with frequent domestic flights from major Vietnamese cities. For international travelers, connecting flights via Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) or Hanoi (HAN) are most convenient. The airport is located approximately 7 km from the city center, and taxi services are readily available for a quick and hassle-free transfer.
- Check direct connections to VCA Airport
- Check direct connections to SGN Airport
- Check direct connections to HAN Airport
By other means
Can Tho is primarily accessible by road and waterways. The city has a well-connected bus network that offers affordable transportation options within the city and to neighboring towns. Additionally, travelers can explore Can Tho's famous floating markets and scenic waterways by taking a tour boat or hiring a private boat. For those coming from Ho Chi Minh City, there are also regular bus services that provide an economical and convenient way to reach Can Tho.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature enthusiasts, cultural explorers, and food lovers
How long to stay in Can Tho?
3-4 days to fully explore the city and the fascinating Mekong Delta region