Savannah - Vacation Briefing
Savannah, located in the state of Georgia, is an enchanting destination known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and southern hospitality. Stroll along cobblestone streets lined with oak trees draped in Spanish moss, and explore the city's well-preserved historic district. Immerse yourself in the colonial past by visiting the many museums and historic sites, such as the iconic Forsyth Park and the Owens-Thomas House. Indulge in delicious southern cuisine, from traditional comfort food to fresh seafood. Don't miss the opportunity to take a leisurely riverboat cruise along the Savannah River and admire the city's skyline. With its blend of history, charm, and natural beauty, Savannah is a must-visit destination for those seeking a quintessential southern experience.
Popular Sights in Savannah
Things to do during your Savannah vacation
Welcome to Savannah! Known for its rich history and southern charm, this coastal city offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy.
- Forsyth Park: Take a stroll through this beautiful park, featuring fountains, a fragrant garden, and a historical war memorial.
- River Street: Explore the bustling River Street with its unique shops, restaurants, and stunning views of the Savannah River.
- Savannah Historic District: Discover the city's rich history by taking a self-guided walking tour through the Savannah Historic District, known for its well-preserved 18th and 19th-century architecture.
- Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD): Visit the SCAD Museum of Art to admire contemporary artworks and explore the beautiful campus of one of the most prestigious art and design schools in the country.
- Telfair Museums: Immerse yourself in Savannah's art scene by visiting the Telfair Museums, consisting of the Telfair Academy, Owens-Thomas House & Slave Quarters, and the Jepson Center.
- Bonaventure Cemetery: Explore this historic cemetery known for its stunning sculptures, lush greenery, and Gothic architecture. It also houses the final resting place of notable figures.
- Tybee Island: Spend a day at the nearby Tybee Island, known for its beautiful beaches, charming lighthouse, and vibrant local culture.
- City Market: Visit the City Market, a four-block open-air marketplace with shops, galleries, restaurants, and live entertainment.
- Savannah Bee Company: Learn about the fascinating world of bees and indulge in various honey-based products at the Savannah Bee Company.
- Ghost Tours: Experience the spooky side of Savannah with a ghost tour, exploring haunted buildings, cemeteries, and hearing chilling tales from the city's past.
Why you should visit Savannah
Savannah, United States of America is a destination with a lot to offer, but it also has some drawbacks that need to be considered.
While Savannah is generally a safe city, it does have some areas with higher crime rates. It is important to take precautions and stay vigilant, especially in certain neighborhoods.
Savannah is rich in history and culture, with its beautiful historic district and numerous museums and historical sites. From its unique architecture to its renowned art scene, there is plenty to explore and learn about in this city.
Savannah's nightlife scene is vibrant and diverse, offering numerous bars, clubs, and live music venues. There is always something happening, making it a great destination for those looking for entertainment after dark.
Savannah may not be the best destination for thrill-seekers and adventure enthusiasts. It lacks extreme outdoor activities, but you can still enjoy activities like paddleboarding, kayaking, and bike tours.
While Savannah may not have pristine beaches or vast natural landscapes, it offers a calm and laid-back atmosphere. Its charming squares, parks, and scenic riverfront provide peaceful spots for relaxation and strolling.
Best time to visit Savannah
Savannah experiences mild winters and hot, humid summers. The best time to visit is from March to May and between September and November, when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are fewer.
A guide To your first day of Savannah vacation
- Start your day with a stroll along the charming streets of Savannah's historic district. Admire the beautifully preserved architecture and soak in the southern charm.
- Visit Forsyth Park, a picturesque green space with stunning oak trees and a historic fountain. Take a leisurely walk or have a picnic in the park.
- Explore the Savannah Historic District further by visiting some of its renowned museums, such as the Telfair Academy and the Savannah History Museum.
- Indulge in some shopping therapy at Broughton Street, which offers a mix of local boutiques, art galleries, and well-known brands.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife of Savannah by heading to River Street. Enjoy live music, delicious food, and scenic views of the Savannah River.
- Take a ghost tour to learn about the city's haunted history and mysterious stories. It's a fun and spooky way to explore Savannah after dark.
- Dine at one of Savannah's top-rated seafood restaurants, such as The Olde Pink House or The Crab Shack. Enjoy fresh seafood dishes and southern specialties.
- End your night with a relaxing walk along the Riverwalk. Take in the beautiful night views of the city and enjoy the peaceful ambiance.
How to get to Savannah
Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport (SAV) is the main gateway to Savannah, USA. With a range of domestic and limited international flights, SAV offers convenient access to the city. Additionally, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) is a major hub located just 250 miles away, providing numerous global connections. Travelers can easily reach Savannah from ATL via direct flights or a scenic drive through Georgia.
By other means
Savannah is well-served by Amtrak, offering a convenient rail connection to major cities like New York, Miami, and Washington D.C. The city also has a comprehensive local bus system, making it easy to navigate and explore. Travelers can also arrive by ferry through the nearby Port of Savannah, offering routes to various destinations including the Caribbean.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, architecture lovers, and those seeking a charming southern experience
How long to stay in Savannah?
A minimum of 3-4 days is recommended to fully experience Savannah's historic district and nearby attractions.
Similar destination to Savannah, United States of America
Because Savannah is known for nature,sightseeing,history,architecture and food these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Savannah, United States of America you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: