Burlington - Vacation Briefing
Burlington, located in the state of Vermont, is a charming city that offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and vibrant culture. Situated on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain, Burlington provides breathtaking vistas of the lake and the Adirondack Mountains in the distance. The city is known for its lively arts scene, with numerous galleries, theaters, and music venues showcasing local talent. Visitors can also explore the historic downtown area, lined with charming boutiques, cafes, and restaurants. Burlington's commitment to sustainability and outdoor recreation is evident in its extensive bike paths, scenic hiking trails, and opportunities for water activities on Lake Champlain.
Popular Sights in Burlington
Things to do during your Burlington vacation
Welcome to Burlington, a vibrant city located in the beautiful state of Vermont. Known for its stunning natural beauty and eclectic culture, there are plenty of things to do and explore in this charming city.
- Church Street Marketplace: Take a stroll down Church Street, a pedestrian-only street lined with shops, restaurants, and street performers.
- Lake Champlain: Visit Lake Champlain, a large freshwater lake offering opportunities for boating, swimming, and stunning sunset views.
- ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain: Explore the ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain, a science museum dedicated to the ecology and history of Lake Champlain.
- Shelburne Museum: Discover the Shelburne Museum, a sprawling museum showcasing art, history, and Americana in a picturesque setting.
- Burlington Bike Path: Rent a bike and ride along the Burlington Bike Path, a scenic trail that runs along the shores of Lake Champlain.
- Flynn Center for the Performing Arts: Catch a live performance at the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, a historic theater showcasing a wide range of talent.
- Ethan Allen Homestead: Step back in time at the Ethan Allen Homestead, the former residence of the American Revolutionary War hero.
- Magic Hat Brewing Company: Take a tour of the Magic Hat Brewing Company and sample some of their unique and delicious craft beers.
- Farmers' Market: Visit the Farmers' Market, held every Saturday, to indulge in fresh local produce, artisanal goods, and delicious food.
- University of Vermont: Explore the beautiful campus of the University of Vermont, known for its stunning architecture and vibrant student life.
- Waterfront Park: Relax and enjoy the scenic views of Lake Champlain at Waterfront Park, a popular destination for picnics and outdoor activities.
Why you should visit Burlington
Burlington, United States of America, is a destination with some positive aspects but also some drawbacks that need to be considered.
Burlington has a relatively low crime rate and is generally safe for tourists. However, it is always recommended to take normal safety precautions and be aware of your surroundings.
Burlington boasts a rich cultural scene with numerous museums and historical sites to explore. Additionally, the city embraces diversity and offers a range of international cuisines.
Burlington offers a decent nightlife scene with a variety of bars and pubs. However, it may not be as vibrant or lively as some other destinations.
While Burlington offers some outdoor adventure options like hiking and water sports, it may not be the ideal destination for extreme or adrenaline-fueled activities.
Burlington is surrounded by beautiful nature, including Lake Champlain and nearby parks, providing opportunities for relaxation and outdoor activities.
Best time to visit Burlington
Burlington embraces the beauty of all four seasons, offering different experiences throughout the year. For the best combination of pleasant weather and fewer crowds, plan your visit in May, June, or September.
A guide To your first day of Burlington vacation
- Take a stroll along the scenic Burlington Waterfront Park, enjoying the beautiful views of Lake Champlain
- Visit the Church Street Marketplace, a vibrant pedestrian mall filled with local shops, boutiques, and restaurants
- Explore the Shelburne Museum, a unique museum showcasing American history and art in a beautiful outdoor setting
- Take a bike ride or walk along the Burlington Bike Path, a scenic trail that runs along the lake
- Enjoy a delicious dinner at one of Burlington's farm-to-table restaurants, such as Hen of the Wood or Farmhouse Tap & Grill
- Catch a live performance at the Flynn Center for the Performing Arts, which hosts a variety of shows including music, theater, and dance
- Experience Burlington's vibrant nightlife by visiting popular bars and breweries like Foam Brewers or Zero Gravity Craft Brewery
- Take a leisurely walk along Church Street and enjoy the lively atmosphere, street performers, and late-night shopping
How to get to Burlington
Burlington International Airport (BTV) is the most convenient airport for reaching Burlington, offering a range of domestic and limited international flights. Located just 10 minutes from the city center, it ensures seamless transfers for travelers. For more international flight options, travelers can also consider flying to Montréal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL), which is about 1.5 hours away by road.
By other means
Burlington is well-served by bus and train connections, providing convenient access to nearby cities. The Greyhound bus station in downtown Burlington offers services to major cities in the region, while the Burlington train station provides Amtrak services to popular destinations like New York City and Montréal. Additionally, the Lake Champlain Ferries operate between Burlington and Port Kent, offering a unique and scenic way to reach the destination.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature enthusiasts, art lovers, and those seeking a charming and picturesque city experience
How long to stay in Burlington?
A recommended stay of 3-5 days is ideal to fully experience the beauty and cultural offerings of Burlington.
If you're already in Burlington, United States of America you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: