Santander - Vacation Briefing
Santander, Spain is a stunning coastal city located in the northern part of the country. It is known for its picturesque beaches, elegant architecture, and rich cultural heritage. The city offers a perfect blend of history, nature, and modernity. Explore the historic city center with charming plazas and historic buildings, such as the beautiful Santander Cathedral. Enjoy the stunning views of the Bay of Santander and relax on the golden sandy beaches. For nature enthusiasts, the surrounding area offers lush green landscapes, forests, and breathtaking cliffs. Santander also boasts a vibrant culinary scene with delicious seafood and traditional Spanish cuisine.
Popular Sights in Santander
Things to do during your Santander vacation
Santander is a beautiful coastal city located in northern Spain. With its stunning beaches, historic architecture, and vibrant culture, Santander offers a wide range of activities for visitors to enjoy.
- Playa del Sardinero: One of Santander's most popular beaches, the Playa del Sardinero offers golden sands, clear blue waters, and a vibrant atmosphere. Perfect for sunbathing, swimming, or enjoying a walk along the promenade.
- Magdalena Palace: A former summer residence of the Spanish royal family, the Magdalena Palace is now a popular tourist attraction. Explore the beautiful gardens, visit the museum, and enjoy panoramic views of the bay.
- Centro Botín: A contemporary art center overlooking the bay, Centro Botín showcases a wide range of modern and contemporary art exhibitions. It also features a rooftop terrace offering stunning views of Santander.
- Santander Cathedral: Dating back to the 13th century, Santander Cathedral is a magnificent Gothic-style cathedral with stunning architectural details. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and admire the intricate artwork.
- Paseo Pereda: Take a leisurely stroll along Paseo Pereda, a picturesque promenade lined with palm trees and historic buildings. Enjoy views of the bay, watch street performers, and visit the famous El Sardinero Casino.
- Mercado del Este: Indulge in the local food culture by exploring Mercado del Este, a traditional market offering a wide variety of fresh produce, seafood, cheeses, and other delicacies. Enjoy a tapas lunch or purchase ingredients for a picnic.
- Peninsula of La Magdalena: Visit the Peninsula of La Magdalena, a scenic natural park known for its lush greenery, walking trails, and panoramic views. Explore the Royal Palace, visit the small zoo, or simply relax by the sea.
- Mataleñas Golf Course: Enjoy a round of golf at the Mataleñas Golf Course, a beautiful course with stunning ocean views. Whether you're a beginner or an experienced golfer, this course offers a challenging and enjoyable experience.
- Maritime Museum: Discover Santander's maritime history at the Maritime Museum, which features interactive exhibits, historic artifacts, and displays on fishing, sailing, and shipbuilding. A must-visit for history and maritime enthusiasts.
- Plaza Porticada: Explore Plaza Porticada, a lively square in the heart of Santander. Surrounded by historic buildings and bustling cafes, this is the perfect spot to relax, people-watch, and soak in the city's vibrant atmosphere.
- Santander Bay Boat Tour: Embark on a boat tour of Santander Bay and admire the city's stunning coastline from the water. Learn about the bay's history, see famous landmarks, and enjoy the fresh sea breeze.
Why you should visit Santander
Santander, Spain is a highly desirable destination with a lot to offer.
Santander is generally a safe destination, with a low crime rate and stable political situation. However, it's always best to take normal precautions when traveling.
Santander is rich in culture, with numerous museums and historical sites to explore. The city also boasts a diverse culinary scene, offering a taste of local gastronomy.
Santander offers a decent nightlife scene with a variety of bars and clubs. While not as vibrant as some other cities in Spain, visitors can still find lively venues to enjoy.
While not considered a top adventure destination, Santander still offers opportunities for outdoor activities such as surfing, sailing, and exploring the nearby mountains.
Santander is known for its beautiful beaches and scenic landscapes, making it a great destination for relaxation. Visitors can also enjoy activities like hiking and biking in the surrounding nature.
Best time to visit Santander
Santander is a charming city with a mild oceanic climate. The best times to visit are from May to September, when you can enjoy pleasant temperatures, fewer crowds, and vibrant cultural events.
A guide To your first day of Santander vacation
- Start your day by visiting the Palacio de la Magdalena, a gorgeous palace situated on a peninsula with stunning views of the Bay of Biscay.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the Paseo Pereda, a beautiful promenade that offers scenic views of the city and its historic buildings.
- Explore the Centro Botín, a modern art center with striking architecture located by the waterfront.
- Enjoy the beach life at Playa de El Sardinero, a popular stretch of sandy beach where you can relax and soak up the sun.
- Indulge in some traditional Spanish cuisine at one of the local tapas bars in the city center.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife by checking out the bars and clubs in the Barrio Pesquero area.
- Take a romantic stroll along the illuminated Magdalena Promenade, enjoying the peaceful ambiance of the city at night.
- Catch a live performance at the Gran Casino Sardinero, a historic casino with a charming atmosphere.
How to get to Santander
Santander Airport (SDR) is the main airport serving the city of Santander, Spain. Although it has limited international connections, it offers convenient flights to major Spanish cities like Madrid and Barcelona. For travelers with international flights, the closest major airports with frequent connections are Bilbao Airport (BIO) and Asturias Airport (OVD), both within a 2 to 3-hour drive from Santander. When planning your trip to Santander, consider the option of combining a visit to the vibrant city with exploring the surrounding regions of Basque Country and Asturias.
- Check direct connections to SDR Airport
- Check direct connections to BIO Airport
- Check direct connections to OVD Airport
By other means
Santander benefits from a well-connected railway network, with regular trains operating within Spain and to nearby cities like Bilbao and Oviedo. The train station, Santander Estación, is conveniently located in the city center. Additionally, the city has an efficient bus system that provides convenient transportation within Santander and to nearby destinations. Ferry services are also available, offering scenic routes to and from Santander, connecting it to cities in England and Ireland. Whether you choose to explore the city or venture out to nearby regions, public transport options in Santander are efficient and reliable.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Santander is perfect for history buffs, beach lovers, and nature enthusiasts.
How long to stay in Santander?
To fully experience Santander's beauty and charm, we recommend staying for at least 3-4 days.
If you're already in Santander, Spain you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: