Guimarães - Vacation Briefing
Guimarães, Portugal is a charming city known as the birthplace of the Portuguese nation. With its well-preserved medieval architecture, beautiful squares, and historic streets, Guimarães transports you back in time. Explore the majestic Guimarães Castle, visit the iconic Palace of the Dukes of Braganza, and wander through the enchanting old town. Immerse yourself in the rich history and culture of this UNESCO World Heritage site.
Popular Sights in Guimarães
Things to do during your Guimarães vacation
Guimarães is a historic city in northern Portugal known for its rich cultural heritage and medieval architecture. Explore the narrow cobbled streets, visit the ancient castles, and indulge in the local cuisine.
- Guimarães Castle: Visit the imposing Guimarães Castle, built in the 10th century and considered a symbol of Portuguese independence.
- Palace of the Dukes of Braganza: Explore the ornate Palace of the Dukes of Braganza, a well-preserved medieval palace showcasing grand architecture and beautiful gardens.
- Mount Penha: Take a cable car ride up Mount Penha and enjoy panoramic views of Guimarães and the surrounding countryside.
- São Gualter Church: Visit the charming São Gualter Church, known for its intricate woodwork and beautiful Baroque altar.
- Alberto Sampaio Museum: Discover the Alberto Sampaio Museum, home to a vast collection of religious art, sculptures, and medieval artifacts.
- Largo da Oliveira: Stroll through Largo da Oliveira, a picturesque square dominated by the historic Church of Nossa Senhora da Oliveira.
- Historic Center: Get lost in the alleys of Guimarães' Historic Center, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and soak in the medieval atmosphere.
- Pego Negro: Enjoy a picnic and nature walk at Pego Negro, a serene park with beautiful hiking trails and a waterfall.
- Manta Festival: If you're visiting in July, don't miss the Manta Festival, a traditional cultural event featuring music, dance, and local gastronomy.
- Ponte do Pero Vaz: Cross the charming Ponte do Pero Vaz, an old stone bridge spanning the Ave River, offering scenic views of the surrounding landscape.
- Mercado Municipal: Experience the vibrant atmosphere of Mercado Municipal, a bustling market where you can sample local produce, cheeses, and delicacies.
Why you should visit Guimarães
Guimarães, Portugal is a charming destination with a rich history and cultural heritage. While it may not be considered a must-visit, it offers a unique experience for those interested in exploring lesser-known places.
Guimarães is generally safe for tourists, with a low crime rate and political stability. However, as with any travel destination, it is always advisable to take precautions and stay alert.
Guimarães is steeped in history and culture, being the birthplace of Portugal. Visitors can explore medieval architecture, visit museums, and immerse themselves in the rich Portuguese heritage and traditions. The diverse local cuisine is also a highlight.
The nightlife in Guimarães is limited compared to larger cities. While you can find some bars and small clubs, it may not be the best destination for those seeking vibrant nightlife.
Guimarães may not be known for extreme adventure activities, but it still offers opportunities for mild adventure such as hiking trails in nearby nature parks. However, thrill-seekers may find the options limited.
While Guimarães does not offer the typical beach or lakefront relaxation, it compensates with its serene and picturesque streets. Strolling through the historic center and enjoying the local atmosphere can be a calming experience.
Best time to visit Guimarães
Guimarães, Portugal is a charming destination with pleasant weather and fewer crowds. The best time to visit is from April to June and September to October.
A guide To your first day of Guimarães vacation
- Visit the historic Guimarães Castle, known as the birthplace of Portugal. Explore the medieval architecture and enjoy the beautiful views from the castle walls.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the charming streets of the city center and admire the traditional Portuguese buildings and cobblestone alleys.
- Visit the Guimarães Palace, a stunning 15th-century building with beautiful gardens. Learn about the history of the city and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
- Explore the Guimarães Historical Center, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Wander around the historic squares and narrow streets lined with shops and cafes.
- Indulge in traditional Portuguese cuisine at one of the local restaurants. Try specialties like bacalhau à brás or francesinha.
- Enjoy a leisurely walk along the Largo da Oliveira, a picturesque square with medieval buildings and a stunning view of the Church of Nossa Senhora da Oliveira.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife in Guimarães by visiting local bars and pubs. Enjoy live music and mingle with locals and fellow travelers.
- Take a romantic evening stroll in the Parque da Cidade, a beautiful park with illuminated paths and peaceful surroundings.
How to get to Guimarães
Porto Airport (OPO) is the most convenient international airport to reach Guimarães, Portugal. It offers frequent flights from major European cities, making it easy for travel connections. From the airport, you can reach Guimarães by train or car, with a travel time of approximately 1 hour. Make sure to book your airport transfer in advance for a hassle-free journey.
By other means
Guimarães is well-connected by train, with regular services from Porto. The train journey takes around 1 hour and offers scenic views of the Portuguese countryside. Buses are also available for those who prefer road travel, with convenient stops in Guimarães city center. Exploring Guimarães on foot is highly recommended, as many attractions are within walking distance of each other.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, culture seekers, and those who appreciate medieval architecture
How long to stay in Guimarães?
A minimum of 2-3 days is recommended to fully explore the city and immerse yourself in its rich history
Similar destination to Guimarães, Portugal
Because Guimarães is known for sightseeing,history,culture and architecture these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Guimarães, Portugal you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: