Intramuros - Vacation Briefing
Intramuros is a historic district in Manila, Philippines, known for its well-preserved walls and Spanish colonial architecture. This walled city showcases the country's rich history and cultural heritage. Visitors can stroll along cobblestone streets, visit centuries-old churches, and explore grand plazas. Discover the charm of Fort Santiago, a key defense fortress during Spanish colonization. Immerse yourself in the past at the Casa Manila Museum, a replica of a Spanish colonial house. Intramuros is also home to beautiful gardens, parks, and gardens, perfect for a leisurely walk or picnic.
Popular Sights in Intramuros
Things to do during your Intramuros vacation
Intramuros, located in Manila, Philippines, is a historic walled area that dates back to the Spanish colonial period. It is a must-visit destination for history buffs and culture enthusiasts. Here are some of the best things to do in Intramuros:
- Fort Santiago: Explore the historical fort that played a significant role during the Spanish colonization and World War II.
- San Agustin Church: Visit the oldest stone church in the country, known for its stunning architecture and religious artifacts.
- Casa Manila: Step into a Bahay na Bato or 'stone house' and experience the lifestyle of the 19th-century upper class in the Philippines.
- Plaza Roma: Relax in a picturesque square surrounded by important historical landmarks, including the Manila Cathedral.
- Intramuros Golf Course: Enjoy a round of golf at this historic golf course that offers a unique experience within the walls of Intramuros.
- Baluarte de San Diego: Stroll through this well-preserved bastion and adjoining gardens, providing a peaceful escape from the bustling city.
- Bahay Tsinoy: Discover the rich Chinese-Filipino heritage through interactive exhibits and artifacts at this museum.
- Rizal Shrine: Pay homage to the national hero of the Philippines, Jose Rizal, at his former residence-turned-museum.
- Intramuros Biking: Rent a bike and explore the historic streets of Intramuros on two wheels, offering a unique perspective.
- Calesa Ride: Experience a traditional horse-drawn carriage ride around Intramuros and soak in the nostalgic atmosphere.
- Street Food Tour: Embark on a culinary adventure by sampling various local street food delights, such as balut, isaw, and kwek-kwek.
Why you should visit Intramuros
Intramuros, Philippines is a historic destination with a lot of cultural significance, but it may not appeal to everyone.
Intramuros has some safety concerns, including a moderate crime rate and occasional natural disasters.
Intramuros is rich in culture with its well-preserved Spanish colonial architecture, museums, and historical sites.
The nightlife in Intramuros is decent with a few bars and restaurants, but it is not known for its vibrant nightlife scene.
Intramuros does not offer many adventurous activities, as it focuses more on its historical and cultural attractions.
While Intramuros has some pleasant areas to relax and enjoy the scenery, it is not primarily known for being a relaxing destination.
Best time to visit Intramuros
Intramuros, Philippines offers pleasant weather throughout the year, making it an ideal destination for travelers. However, to avoid the crowds and enjoy comfortable temperatures, the best time to visit is from December to February and from May to July.
A guide To your first day of Intramuros vacation
- Visit Fort Santiago and discover the rich history of Intramuros.
- Take a relaxing walk along the walls of Intramuros and enjoy the scenic views of Manila.
- Explore the beautiful architecture of San Agustin Church, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit Casa Manila, a museum that showcases the Spanish colonial lifestyle in the Philippines.
- Experience a traditional Filipino dinner at Barbara's Heritage Restaurant, known for its live cultural performances.
- Take a sunset bay cruise and admire the illuminated skyline of Manila.
- Join a ghost tour and listen to spine-chilling stories about the haunted spots in Intramuros.
- Enjoy live music and drinks at the iconic Intramuros bars like Ilustrado or La Puerta del Sol.
How to get to Intramuros
The most convenient airport for reaching Intramuros, Philippines is Ninoy Aquino International Airport (MNL). As the major hub in the country, it offers excellent global connections and a wide range of airlines. From the airport, travelers can easily reach Intramuros by taxi or private shuttle for a smooth and hassle-free journey.
By other means
Intramuros is well-connected by public transport, with various options available for travelers. Manila has a comprehensive network of buses and jeepneys that can take you directly to Intramuros. Additionally, the LRT-1 train line has a station near Intramuros, providing a convenient and affordable way to reach the destination. Exploring Intramuros on foot is also a great option since it is a compact area with historical sites in close proximity.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, culture seekers, and architecture lovers
How long to stay in Intramuros?
A day trip is sufficient to explore the main attractions of Intramuros, but history enthusiasts may want to spend more time to delve deeper into the history and heritage of the area.
If you're already in Intramuros, Philippines you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: