Haarlem - Vacation Briefing
Haarlem, Netherlands is a quaint city located just west of Amsterdam. Known for its beautiful architecture and rich history, this destination offers a unique blend of tradition and modernity. Explore the picturesque canals, visit historic landmarks such as Grote Kerk and Teylers Museum, and stroll through the vibrant streets lined with boutique shops and cozy cafes. Haarlem is also famous for its thriving arts scene, with numerous galleries and theaters to visit. Immerse yourself in Dutch culture by visiting local markets and trying traditional delicacies. With its relaxed atmosphere and friendly locals, Haarlem is the perfect destination for a peaceful getaway.
Popular Sights in Haarlem
Things to do during your Haarlem vacation
Haarlem is a charming city located in the Netherlands, just a short train ride away from Amsterdam. Known for its historic architecture, beautiful canals, and vibrant cultural scene, Haarlem offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you are interested in exploring the city's rich history, taking a leisurely stroll along the canals, or discovering the local art and music scene, Haarlem has something for everyone.
- Grote Markt: Visit the bustling central square of Haarlem, lined with historic buildings and an iconic Grote Kerk (Great Church). Enjoy cafes, restaurants, and bars in the area.
- Frans Hals Museum: Explore the impressive collection of Dutch Golden Age paintings by Frans Hals and other renowned artists in this museum located in a former almshouse.
- Teylers Museum: Discover the oldest museum in the Netherlands, housing an extensive collection of art, natural history, and science artifacts in a stunning 18th-century building.
- De Adriaan Windmill: Climb this iconic windmill for panoramic views of Haarlem and the surrounding area. Learn about the history of windmills and their role in Dutch culture.
- Haarlemse Hofjes: Take a peaceful stroll through the hidden courtyard gardens known as 'hofjes' that were originally built for single women or elderly couples.
- Corrie ten Boom House: Visit the home of the ten Boom family, who helped hide Jewish people during World War II. Learn about their brave efforts and the history of the Dutch resistance.
- Haarlemse Jopenkerk: Experience the unique combination of a brewery and a restaurant housed in a former church. Enjoy locally brewed beers and delicious food in a historical setting.
- De Hallen Haarlem: Immerse yourself in contemporary art at this exhibition space housed in a former industrial building. Discover thought-provoking exhibitions and installations.
- Shopping in Haarlem: Indulge in a shopping spree in Haarlem's charming streets, filled with a mix of well-known brands, independent boutiques, antique shops, and local artisans.
- Boat Tour on the Spaarne: Take a relaxing boat tour along the picturesque Spaarne River, admiring the beautiful canal houses, bridges, and historic landmarks of Haarlem.
- St. Bavo's Church: Marvel at the stunning architecture and impressive organ of this Gothic church. Attend a concert or explore the interior, including the tomb of Frans Hals.
Why you should visit Haarlem
Haarlem, Netherlands is a pleasant destination with several attractions and activities to offer.
Haarlem has a relatively low crime rate and political stability, making it a safe destination to visit.
Haarlem is rich in culture and history, with numerous museums, historical sites, and a diverse culinary scene.
The nightlife in Haarlem is decent with a few bars and clubs, but it may not be as vibrant as other cities in the Netherlands.
Haarlem is not known for adventure activities. However, it is surrounded by beautiful nature, allowing for peaceful walks and bike rides.
While Haarlem doesn't have beaches or lakes, it offers a relaxing ambiance with its charming canals, parks, and quiet streets.
Best time to visit Haarlem
Haarlem offers pleasant weather and fewer crowds during the months of May to September. Explore the city's charming streets and enjoy the outdoor activities without the hustle and bustle.
A guide To your first day of Haarlem vacation
- Visit the Grote Markt and enjoy a cup of coffee at one of the cozy cafes.
- Explore the Frans Hals Museum and admire the impressive collection of Dutch Golden Age paintings.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the canals and appreciate the picturesque scenery.
- Visit the Teylers Museum, the oldest museum in the Netherlands, and discover its fascinating collections of art and science.
- Enjoy a delicious dinner at a traditional Dutch restaurant, such as Spaarne66 or 't Stoopje.
- Take a walk through the illuminated streets of Haarlem and soak up the charming atmosphere.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife of Haarlem by visiting popular bars and pubs like Jopenkerk or Briljant.
- Catch a live music performance at Poppodium Patronaat and enjoy the energetic atmosphere.
How to get to Haarlem
Haarlem is conveniently accessible by flying into Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS). As a major global hub, AMS offers excellent connections to various international destinations. From Schiphol, it only takes a short 20-minute train ride to reach Haarlem's city center, ensuring a hassle-free transfer and a great starting point for exploring the region.
By other means
Haarlem is easily reachable by public transport, with Amsterdam Centraal serving as a key European rail hub nearby. From Amsterdam Centraal, travelers can enjoy high-speed connections to cities like Brussels and Paris. Additionally, Haarlem itself has an efficient local transport system, making it effortless for visitors to navigate the city and discover its countless charms.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Haarlem, Netherlands is perfect for travelers seeking a peaceful and cultural escape. It appeals to history enthusiasts, art lovers, and those who appreciate traditional Dutch charm.
How long to stay in Haarlem?
To fully experience Haarlem, we recommend staying for 2-3 days. This will allow you enough time to explore the city's main attractions, immerse yourself in the local culture, and take leisurely walks along the canals.
If you're already in Haarlem, Netherlands you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: