Arnhem - Vacation Briefing
Arnhem is a charming city located in the eastern part of the Netherlands. Known for its stunning natural beauty and historical significance, Arnhem offers a delightful blend of old-world charm and modern attractions. The city is home to beautiful parks, impressive museums, and a vibrant cultural scene. Wander through the cobbled streets lined with historic buildings, visit the iconic John Frost Bridge, or explore the lush landscapes of the Veluwe National Park. Arnhem also played a significant role in World War II, and you can learn about its wartime history at the famous Airborne Museum. Whether you're a history enthusiast, nature lover, or simply seeking a scenic getaway, Arnhem has something to offer everyone.
Popular Sights in Arnhem
Things to do during your Arnhem vacation
Arnhem is a vibrant city located in the eastern part of the Netherlands. It offers a mix of historic sites, cultural attractions, and natural beauty. Whether you are interested in exploring museums, strolling through picturesque parks, or indulging in delicious Dutch cuisine, Arnhem has something for everyone.
- Burgers' Zoo: Discover a vast variety of animals from around the world in this stunning zoo.
- Arnhem Open Air Museum: Step back in time and explore the history and culture of the Netherlands through reconstructed buildings and live demonstrations.
- Gelderse Poort: Spend a day in this natural reserve, where you can hike, bike, or enjoy a picnic amidst beautiful landscapes.
- Airborne Museum: Learn about the famous World War II battle, Operation Market Garden, and the role Arnhem played in it.
- Sonsbeek Park: Relax in this scenic park with lush gardens, picturesque ponds, and charming pathways.
- Shopping in the City Center: Explore a wide range of shops, boutiques, and markets for unique shopping experiences.
- Geldersch Landschap & Kasteelen: Visit magnificent castles and stunning estates scattered throughout the beautiful landscapes of Arnhem
- Veluwezoom National Park: Embark on a nature adventure in the oldest national park in the Netherlands, featuring stunning forests and heathlands.
- Eusebius Church: Climb the tower of this historic church and enjoy panoramic views of Arnhem.
- Kroller-Muller Museum: Discover an impressive collection of modern and contemporary art, including works by Van Gogh, in this unique museum located amidst the Hoge Veluwe National Park.
- Street Food Festival: Indulge in a variety of delicious street food from local vendors at this lively festival.
Why you should visit Arnhem
Arnhem, Netherlands is a decent destination, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It has some good aspects, but also some drawbacks.
Arnhem, Netherlands is generally a safe destination. The crime rate is relatively low, and the city maintains a stable political environment.
Arnhem, Netherlands has a rich cultural heritage with several museums and historical sites. The city also offers diverse culinary experiences.
Arnhem, Netherlands offers a decent nightlife scene with a variety of bars, pubs, and clubs. However, it may not be as vibrant or diverse as other popular cities.
Arnhem, Netherlands is not particularly known for adventure activities. It might not be the best choice for adrenaline junkies seeking thrilling experiences.
Arnhem, Netherlands may not be the most relaxing destination. While there are some parks and green spaces, it lacks natural attractions like beaches or lakes.
Best time to visit Arnhem
Arnhem, Netherlands offers a variety of experiences throughout the year. From lively festivals to serene parks, there is something for everyone. The best time to visit is from May to September when the weather is pleasant, and outdoor activities are in full swing.
A guide To your first day of Arnhem vacation
- Start your day with a visit to the famous Openlucht Museum, an open-air museum that showcases traditional Dutch life and architecture. Take a stroll through the park and learn about the history and culture of the Netherlands.
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast at one of the cozy cafes in the city center. Try some local specialties like Dutch pancakes or herring.
- Explore the beautiful Burgers' Zoo, a large zoo with various habitats and animal exhibits. Spend time observing the animals and learning about conservation efforts.
- Visit the historic Airborne Museum, located in the former residence of General Urquhart. Learn about the Battle of Arnhem during World War II and the role of the British airborne troops.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the Rhine River and enjoy the scenic views. Stop by one of the riverside restaurants or bars for a drink or dinner while watching the sunset.
- Catch a performance at the renowned Musis Sacrum concert hall. Check the schedule for concerts or cultural events happening during your visit.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife of Arnhem by visiting one of the lively bars or clubs in the city center. Dance the night away or enjoy live music performances.
- For a more relaxed evening, head to one of the cozy pubs or cafes and enjoy a drink with friends or locals. Engage in friendly conversations and immerse yourself in the local atmosphere.
How to get to Arnhem
The most convenient way to reach Arnhem by plane is to fly into Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS). As a major hub with excellent global connections, AMS offers frequent international flights. From the airport, it's just a 20-minute train ride to Arnhem, making it highly convenient for quick transfers or longer stays.
By other means
Arnhem is easily accessible by public transport, with Arnhem Centraal serving as a key European rail hub. From here, you can take high-speed trains to cities like Brussels and Paris. Arnhem Centraal is also a nexus for local transport, making city exploration effortless.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, nature lovers, and culture seekers
How long to stay in Arnhem?
A visit of 2-3 days is sufficient to explore the main attractions and indulge in the beauty of Arnhem.
If you're already in Arnhem, Netherlands you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: