Valletta - Vacation Briefing
Valletta, the capital city of Malta, is a UNESCO World Heritage site that offers a perfect blend of history, stunning architecture, and Mediterranean charm. Founded in the 16th century, Valletta boasts an impressive collection of Baroque architecture, including the magnificent St. John's Co-Cathedral. Explore the city's narrow streets, visit the Grand Master's Palace, and take in breathtaking panoramic views from the Upper Barrakka Gardens. With its vibrant cultural scene, Valletta also hosts numerous festivals and events throughout the year. Indulge in delicious cuisine, relax at picturesque harbors, and experience the warmth and friendliness of the Maltese people.
Popular Sights in Valletta
Things to do during your Valletta vacation
Valletta is the vibrant capital city of Malta, known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and cultural attractions. With a wide range of activities to choose from, visitors can explore historical sites, enjoy the local cuisine, or simply relax in one of the many charming cafes. Whether you are interested in history, art, or outdoor adventures, Valletta has something for everyone.
- St. John's Co-Cathedral: Visit this stunning Baroque cathedral known for its intricate interior and beautiful art masterpieces.
- Upper Barrakka Gardens: Experience breathtaking views of the Grand Harbour and enjoy the lush greenery of this peaceful garden.
- Fort St. Elmo: Explore this historic fort that played a crucial role in the Great Siege of Malta and enjoy panoramic views of the city.
- The Malta Experience: Learn about the fascinating history of Malta through a multimedia presentation that takes you on a journey through time.
- National Museum of Archaeology: Discover Malta's rich prehistoric past and admire the impressive collection of artifacts found on the islands.
- Grandmaster's Palace: Step back in time as you visit the former residence of the Grandmaster of the Knights of St. John and explore its opulent rooms.
- Valletta Waterfront: Stroll along the promenade, lined with numerous restaurants and shops, and enjoy picturesque views of the harbor.
- Lascaris War Rooms: Visit the secret underground complex used during World War II and learn about Malta's role in the conflict.
- Mediterranean Conference Centre: Marvel at the stunning architecture of this former hospital and now a leading conference and events venue.
- Casa Rocca Piccola: Step into the private residence of a Maltese noble family and admire its fine collection of art and antiques.
- Valletta Market: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of this bustling market, offering a wide variety of local produce and crafts.
Why you should visit Valletta
Valletta, Malta is a unique and historical destination with a lot to offer, but it may not suit everyone's preferences.
Valletta, Malta has a relatively low crime rate and is considered safe for tourists. However, it's always recommended to stay cautious and aware of your surroundings.
Valletta, Malta is rich in history and culture. It boasts numerous museums, historical sites, and a diverse culinary scene, making it a paradise for culture enthusiasts.
Valletta, Malta offers a decent nightlife scene with some bars and clubs, but it may not be as vibrant as in other popular party destinations.
Valletta, Malta may not be the best destination for adrenaline junkies seeking extreme adventures, but it does offer some moderate outdoor activities like exploring the coastline and taking boat trips.
Valletta, Malta offers beautiful waterfront views, charming streets to stroll around, and nearby beaches where you can relax and soak up the sun. It's a great destination for a laid-back vacation.
Best time to visit Valletta
Valletta, Malta is a year-round destination with pleasant weather and a rich cultural scene. However, the best time to visit is from April to June and September to November when the weather is warm, hotels are more affordable, and there are fewer crowds.
A guide To your first day of Valletta vacation
- Start your day with a visit to St. John's Co-Cathedral, a stunning Baroque church known for its intricate interior and artistic masterpieces.
- Explore the Upper Barrakka Gardens, where you can enjoy panoramic views of the Grand Harbour and the Three Cities.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the historic streets of Valletta and admire the colorful balconies and charming architecture.
- Visit the Grandmaster's Palace, which houses the Office of the President of Malta and the Palace State Rooms.
- Enjoy a relaxing dinner at one of the many waterfront restaurants in Valletta, offering delicious Maltese cuisine and stunning views of the sea.
- Attend a performance at the Manoel Theatre, one of the oldest working theaters in Europe.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife of Valletta by visiting the popular Strait Street, lined with bars and clubs.
- Take a romantic evening walk along the Valletta Waterfront, illuminated by the lights of the historic buildings.
How to get to Valletta
Malta International Airport (MLA) is the main gateway to Valletta. It offers frequent international flights and is well-connected to the city center. The airport is just a short distance away, making transfers seamless for travelers. Tips for visitors include accessing public transport options like taxis or buses to reach Valletta and exploring the stunning island of Malta.
By other means
Valletta is easily accessible by public transport, with convenient options like buses and taxis. Malta's bus system is efficient and offers an affordable way to explore the city and the island. Visitors can also find taxis readily available at the airport and throughout Valletta. It is recommended to check schedules and plan ahead to make the most of their journey.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, architecture lovers, and culture seekers
How long to stay in Valletta?
A minimum of 3 days to fully immerse in Valletta's history and explore its architectural wonders
Similar destination to Valletta, Malta
Because Valletta is known for sightseeing,history,culture,architecture and shopping these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Valletta, Malta you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: