Amman - Vacation Briefing
Amman, Jordan is a vibrant and ancient city that seamlessly blends the old with the new. Nestled among rolling hills, the city boasts a rich history dating back thousands of years. Visitors can explore historic landmarks such as the Roman Theater and the Amman Citadel, which offer breathtaking views of the city. Amman is also a hub of modernity, with a thriving arts and culinary scene. From traditional street stalls to high-end restaurants, the city offers a diverse range of dining options. Shopping enthusiasts can explore the bustling markets and modern malls, while nature lovers can venture to the nearby Dead Sea or Jerash. Amman truly offers a unique experience that combines culture, history, and modernity in one captivating destination.
Popular Sights in Amman
Things to do during your Amman vacation
Amman, the capital city of Jordan, is a vibrant and historic destination offering a wide range of activities for visitors to enjoy. From exploring ancient sites to indulging in local cuisine, there is something for everyone in this bustling city.
- Amman Citadel: Visit the Amman Citadel, a historic site with ruins of ancient civilizations and panoramic views of the city.
- Roman Theater: Explore the well-preserved Roman Theater, an impressive landmark dating back to the 2nd century.
- Rainbow Street: Stroll along Rainbow Street, known for its trendy cafes, artisan shops, and lively atmosphere.
- Jordan Museum: Discover Jordan's rich history and culture at the Jordan Museum, featuring a diverse collection of artifacts.
- Souk Jara: Experience the vibrant atmosphere of Souk Jara, a popular open-air market selling traditional crafts, food, and more.
- Royal Automobile Museum: Visit the Royal Automobile Museum, showcasing a collection of classic cars and memorabilia.
- Hiking in the Wadi Mujib: Embark on a thrilling hiking adventure through the stunning Wadi Mujib, known as Jordan's Grand Canyon.
- Abu Darwish Mosque: Admire the beautiful Abu Darwish Mosque, known for its unique Ottoman architecture and peaceful ambiance.
- Jordanian Cuisine: Sample the delightful flavors of Jordanian cuisine, including mouthwatering dishes like mansaf and falafel.
- Amman Street Art: Discover the vibrant street art scene in Amman, with colorful murals and graffiti adorning the city's walls.
- Amman Shopping: Indulge in a shopping spree at Amman's modern malls, bustling souks, and designer boutiques.
Why you should visit Amman
Amman, Jordan offers a mix of experiences and attractions that may appeal to some travelers. While it may not be a top-tier destination, it still has its unique charm.
Amman, Jordan has a moderate safety rating. While it generally maintains political stability, it is advisable to be cautious of petty crimes, especially in crowded areas. It is also important to stay updated on travel advisories.
Amman, Jordan has a rich cultural heritage with numerous historical sites, including ancient ruins like the Citadel and Roman Theater. It is a melting pot of different cultures and traditions, offering a unique blend of Middle Eastern influences.
Amman, Jordan offers a decent nightlife scene with a variety of cafes, bars, and clubs to explore. However, it may not be as vibrant or diverse as some other popular destinations.
Amman, Jordan provides opportunities for adventure enthusiasts. While it may not have extreme sports like bungee jumping, it offers activities like hiking in nearby nature reserves or exploring historical sites, which can be exciting and adventurous.
Amman, Jordan may not be the most relaxing destination. It lacks natural attractions like beaches or lakes, but it does offer some urban parks and recreational areas for a leisurely stroll or picnic.
Best time to visit Amman
Amman, Jordan offers pleasant weather with mild temperatures, making it ideal for exploring historical sites and vibrant markets. The best time to visit is from March to May and September to November, when the weather is comfortable and the crowds are thinner.
A guide To your first day of Amman vacation
- Visit the Citadel and enjoy panoramic views of Amman
- Explore the ancient Roman Theatre
- Discover the bustling streets of the Downtown area and shop for souvenirs
- Visit the Jordan Museum to learn more about the country's history
- Dine at a local restaurant and try traditional Jordanian cuisine
- Take a leisurely stroll along Rainbow Street and enjoy the vibrant nightlife
- Experience the lively atmosphere at a local shisha lounge
- Enjoy live music performances at one of the city's trendy bars
How to get to Amman
Queen Alia International Airport (AMM) is the major hub for reaching Amman. With excellent global connections, it offers convenient flights from major cities, providing quick and easy access to Jordan's capital. The airport is well-equipped with modern facilities and amenities, ensuring a comfortable experience for travelers.
By other means
Amman has a reliable and efficient public transport system, including buses and taxis, making it easy to navigate the city. The central bus station connects Amman to other parts of Jordan, while taxis are readily available for convenient travel within the city. Visitors can also explore Amman's rich history and culture by utilizing the convenient local transportation options.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, culture seekers, and food lovers
How long to stay in Amman?
If you're already in Amman, Jordan you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: