Varkala - Vacation Briefing
Varkala, India is a captivating coastal town nestled along the Arabian Sea. With its stunning cliffs, golden sandy beaches, and azure waters, Varkala offers a paradisiacal retreat for beach lovers and nature enthusiasts. Known for its vibrant culture and spirituality, the town is home to ancient temples and yoga centers. Explore the bustling markets, where you can find unique handicrafts and local spices. Discover the rich heritage by visiting the 800-year-old Janardanaswamy Temple. Indulge in fresh seafood delicacies at beachside cafes and relish a rejuvenating Ayurvedic massage. Varkala's mesmerizing sunset views make it a haven for photographers and romantic souls.
Popular Sights in Varkala
Things to do during your Varkala vacation
Varkala is a beautiful coastal town in Kerala, India. It is known for its stunning beaches, breathtaking cliffs, and spiritual significance. With a perfect blend of serene nature and cultural heritage, Varkala offers a wide range of activities for all types of travelers to enjoy.
- Varkala Beach: Relax on the pristine golden sands of Varkala Beach and soak in the gentle sea breeze.
- Cliff Walk: Take a stroll along the majestic cliffs of Varkala and enjoy the panoramic views of the Arabian Sea.
- Janardhana Swamy Temple: Visit the ancient Janardhana Swamy Temple, dedicated to Lord Vishnu, and explore its intricate architectural details.
- Ayurvedic Spa: Indulge in a rejuvenating Ayurvedic spa treatment to relax and rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul.
- Boat Ride in Kappil Lake: Embark on a scenic boat ride in Kappil Lake and witness the serene backwaters surrounded by lush greenery.
- Surfing Lessons: Learn the art of surfing from experienced instructors and catch some exciting waves at Varkala Beach.
- Yoga Retreat: Join a yoga retreat in Varkala and experience the serenity of practicing yoga amidst the tranquil surroundings.
- Varkala Tunnel: Explore the mysterious Varkala Tunnel, a historical architectural wonder that served as a major transportation route in the past.
- Kappil Beach: Visit Kappil Beach, a hidden gem known for its pristine beauty and peaceful ambiance.
- Sivagiri Mutt: Discover the spirituality at Sivagiri Mutt, the final resting place of the social reformer, Sree Narayana Guru.
- Local Cuisine: Treat your taste buds to the local delicacies of Varkala and experience the flavors of traditional Kerala cuisine.
Why you should visit Varkala
Varkala, India is a relatively desirable destination with a variety of attractions to offer.
While Varkala is generally safe, it's advisable to take precautions due to occasional incidents of petty thefts and scams targeting tourists.
Varkala has a rich cultural heritage with numerous temples, historical sites, and authentic local cuisine. Visitors can experience the vibrant traditions and immerse themselves in the local culture.
Varkala doesn't have a vibrant nightlife compared to other destinations. There are a few bars and restaurants, but it is not known for its party scene.
While Varkala offers some adventure activities like surfing and paragliding, it is not primarily known as an adventure destination. However, there are opportunities for exploring nearby nature reserves and engaging in water sports.
Varkala is renowned for its serene beaches, picturesque cliffs, and tranquil atmosphere. It is an ideal destination for relaxation and rejuvenation amidst natural beauty.
Best time to visit Varkala
Varkala, India offers a unique travel experience all year round. However, the best time to visit is from November to March when the weather is pleasant, and you can enjoy outdoor activities without the humidity. Note that this is also the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds.
A guide To your first day of Varkala vacation
- Take a walk along the beautiful Varkala Beach and enjoy the serene views of the Arabian Sea.
- Visit the ancient Janardanaswamy Temple and experience the spiritual ambiance.
- Indulge in some delicious traditional South Indian cuisine at one of the local restaurants.
- Explore the vibrant local markets and shop for unique handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Relax and unwind with a yoga session on the sandy shores of Varkala Beach.
- Witness the breathtaking sunset from the iconic Varkala Cliff and capture stunning photographs.
- Enjoy a cozy dinner at a beachside restaurant and savor the fresh seafood delicacies.
- Immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of the beach shacks and enjoy live music performances.
How to get to Varkala
Thiruvananthapuram International Airport (TRV) is the closest major airport to Varkala, India. It offers frequent international flights, making it convenient for travelers. From the airport, it's a scenic 40-minute drive to Varkala, with affordable taxi services readily available. Alternatively, you can take a local bus or hire a private car for a more flexible travel experience.
By other means
Varkala is easily accessible by train and bus. Varkala Sivagiri Railway Station is conveniently located in the heart of the city and offers regular train services to major towns and cities in India. Traveling by bus is also a popular option, with comfortable and affordable services available from nearby cities like Thiruvananthapuram and Kochi. Exploring Varkala by local auto-rickshaws or renting a scooter are great ways to get around the town.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Varkala, India attracts beach lovers, nature enthusiasts, spirituality seekers, photography enthusiasts, and couples looking for a romantic getaway.
How long to stay in Varkala?
To fully experience Varkala's charm, we recommend staying for at least 3-5 days. This allows you to explore the beaches, enjoy Ayurvedic treatments, immerse in the local culture, and witness the magical sunset vistas.
Similar destination to Varkala, India
Because Varkala is known for nature,relaxation,beach and sightseeing these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Varkala, India you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: