Haridwar - Vacation Briefing
Haridwar is a sacred city in northern India, located on the banks of the holy Ganges River. Known for its spiritual significance and rich cultural heritage, Haridwar is a popular pilgrimage site for Hindus. The city is home to numerous ancient temples and ghats where devotees gather to take holy dips in the sacred river. Haridwar also hosts the Kumbh Mela, one of the largest religious gatherings in the world. Apart from its religious importance, Haridwar offers a mesmerizing blend of natural beauty and tranquility, with lush green forests, mystical waterfalls, and breathtaking views of the Himalayas.
Popular Sights in Haridwar
Things to do during your Haridwar vacation
Haridwar is a vibrant city in the state of Uttarakhand, India. Located at the foothills of the Himalayas, this holy city on the banks of the Ganges River is a significant pilgrimage destination for Hindus. Haridwar is known for its sacred ghats, temples, and religious rituals. Besides spiritual activities, there are also a variety of things to do in Haridwar that offer a glimpse into its rich cultural heritage and natural beauty.
- Har Ki Pauri: Visit Har Ki Pauri, the most famous ghat and the holy landmark of Haridwar. Witness the evening Ganga Aarti ceremony and take a holy dip in the Ganges.
- Chandi Devi Temple: Take a cable car ride or trek up the Neel Parvat hill to reach the Chandi Devi Temple. Enjoy panoramic views of Haridwar and seek blessings from Goddess Chandi.
- Mansa Devi Temple: Visit the Mansa Devi Temple located on Bilwa Parvat. Take a cable car or trek to the hilltop to seek the blessings of Goddess Mansa Devi.
- Rajaji National Park: Explore Rajaji National Park, spanning across three districts and home to diverse flora and fauna. Engage in wildlife safaris, birdwatching, and nature walks.
- Shantikunj: Visit Shantikunj, the headquarters of the spiritual organization All World Gayatri Pariwar. Attend meditation sessions, participate in spiritual discourses, and learn about Indian culture and heritage.
- Bhimgoda Kund: Explore Bhimgoda Kund, a sacred water tank associated with the epic Mahabharata. It is believed to have been created by Bhima by striking the ground with his knee.
- Daksha Mahadev Temple: Visit Daksha Mahadev Temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva. This ancient temple holds mythological importance and offers a serene atmosphere for meditation and prayers.
- Sapt Rishi Ashram: Visit Sapt Rishi Ashram, a tranquil retreat located on the banks of the Ganges. It is believed that seven sages meditated here, making it a significant spiritual spot.
- Bharat Mata Mandir: Explore Bharat Mata Mandir, a unique temple dedicated to Mother India. This eight-story temple houses statues and exhibits representing India's history, culture, and deities.
- Kankhal: Discover the holy town of Kankhal, famous for its ancient temples and religious festivals. Visit Daksheshwar Mahadev Temple and Anandamayi Ma Ashram.
Why you should visit Haridwar
Haridwar, India is a moderately desirable destination with a mix of positive and negative aspects.
The safety rating for Haridwar, India is moderate. While the city has its share of petty crimes, it is generally safe. However, travelers should remain cautious and take necessary precautions.
Haridwar, India is rich in culture and spirituality. It is home to numerous temples, ashrams, and religious festivals, offering a unique cultural experience to visitors. The diversity of food and religious practices enhance the cultural experience.
The nightlife rating for Haridwar, India is low. The city is known for its religious sanctity and is not renowned for vibrant nightlife or entertainment options.
The adventure rating for Haridwar, India is relatively low. The city does not offer many adventurous activities but serves as a gateway to nearby adventurous destinations like Rishikesh, where activities like river rafting and hiking can be enjoyed.
Haridwar, India is a moderately relaxing destination. The city is situated on the banks of the Ganges River, providing serene and peaceful surroundings. Visitors can participate in meditation, yoga, and experience the spiritual atmosphere.
Best time to visit Haridwar
Haridwar is best visited in the months of February to April and October to December. These months offer pleasant weather conditions, religious festivals, and lesser crowds.
A guide To your first day of Haridwar vacation
- Visit Har Ki Pauri for a peaceful sunrise and witness the religious rituals on the banks of River Ganges.
- Take a dip in the holy Ganges and experience the purification rituals.
- Explore the vibrant markets of Haridwar and indulge in some local street food.
- Visit the famous Mansa Devi Temple and seek blessings from the goddess.
- Attend the mesmerizing Ganga Aarti ceremony at Har Ki Pauri and witness the floating diyas on the river.
- Take a boat ride in the evening to experience the serene beauty of the Ganges.
- Enjoy a delicious dinner at one of the riverside restaurants and savor the local cuisine.
- Take a stroll along the ghats and soak in the peaceful ambiance of the night.
How to get to Haridwar
The most convenient way to reach Haridwar, India by plane is to fly into Indira Gandhi International Airport (DEL) in Delhi. Delhi is well-connected to major international cities and offers numerous flight options. From Delhi, you can take a domestic flight to Jolly Grant Airport (DED) in Dehradun, which is the closest airport to Haridwar. From there, it's a scenic drive of approximately 35 km to reach Haridwar.
By other means
Reaching Haridwar by public transport is convenient, thanks to a well-connected rail network. Haridwar Junction railway station is an important stop and connects to major cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Chennai. Buses are also available from various cities in North India to reach Haridwar. Once in Haridwar, local rickshaws and auto-rickshaws are a popular and convenient mode of transport for exploring the city.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Spiritual seekers, nature enthusiasts, and those interested in Indian culture
How long to stay in Haridwar?
A recommended stay of 2-3 days to explore the major attractions and experience the spiritual essence of Haridwar
Similar destination to Haridwar, India
Because Haridwar is known for relaxation,sightseeing,history and culture these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Haridwar, India you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: