Tasiilaq - Vacation Briefing
Tasiilaq, Greenland is a picturesque town located on the stunning east coast of Greenland. Surrounded by majestic mountains, crystal-clear fjords, and vast icebergs, Tasiilaq offers a unique and unrivaled experience for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Immerse yourself in the rich Inuit culture, witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights dancing across the sky, and discover the untouched wilderness that Greenland is known for. With a population of around 2,000, Tasiilaq offers a peaceful and serene atmosphere, perfect for those seeking an escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Popular Sights in Tasiilaq
Things to do during your Tasiilaq vacation
Tasiilaq is a breathtaking town located in East Greenland. Surrounded by towering mountains and the pristine Arctic waters, it offers a unique and unforgettable experience for visitors. Here are some of the top things to do in Tasiilaq:
- Hiking in Angmassalik Island: Embark on an adventure through the stunning landscapes of Angmassalik Island. Explore the diverse flora and fauna while enjoying magnificent views of glaciers and fjords.
- Kayaking in Kong Oscars Havn: Paddle through the crystal-clear waters of Kong Oscars Havn and admire the breathtaking icebergs and dramatic coastal scenery. Kayaking allows you to get up close and personal with Greenland's unique natural wonders.
- Dog Sledding in the Arctic Wilderness: Experience the thrill of dog sledding in the vast Arctic wilderness surrounding Tasiilaq. Let a team of friendly and energetic Greenlandic sled dogs take you on a memorable journey through the snow-covered landscapes.
- Fishing in the Arctic Waters: Indulge in a traditional Greenlandic activity by going fishing in the Arctic waters. Whether you are a seasoned angler or a beginner, you'll have the opportunity to catch a variety of fish, including Arctic char and Atlantic salmon.
- Visiting the Tasiilaq Museum: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Tasiilaq by visiting the local museum. Learn about the history, traditions, and lifestyle of the Inuit people who have inhabited this area for generations.
- Exploring the Qarajaq Ice Fjord: Take a boat tour to the magnificent Qarajaq Ice Fjord and witness towering icebergs, glaciers, and stunning scenery. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a must-visit for nature lovers and photography enthusiasts.
- Helicopter Sightseeing Tour: Get a bird's-eye view of Tasiilaq and its surrounding landscapes with a thrilling helicopter sightseeing tour. Enjoy panoramic views of the Arctic wilderness, majestic mountains, and pristine fjords.
- Attending a Traditional Inuit Cultural Event: Participate in a traditional Inuit cultural event and witness traditional music, dance, storytelling, and traditional costumes. This is a unique opportunity to learn about the rich cultural heritage of the Inuit people.
- Shopping for Local Handicrafts: Explore the local shops and galleries to find unique handicrafts made by skilled local artisans. From intricately carved bone sculptures to colorful traditional clothing, you'll find various authentic souvenirs to take back home.
- Sampling Greenlandic Cuisine: Treat your taste buds to the flavors of Greenland by sampling the local cuisine. Try traditional dishes like raw whale skin, dried fish, Greenlandic coffee, and other specialties made with fresh local ingredients.
- Relaxing at Hot Springs: Unwind and rejuvenate in the natural hot springs located near Tasiilaq. Soak in the warm geothermal waters while enjoying breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
Why you should visit Tasiilaq
Tasiilaq, Greenland can be a unique and interesting destination for adventurous travelers.
Tasiilaq, Greenland has a relatively low crime rate but can be hazardous due to its remote location and extreme weather conditions.
Tasiilaq, Greenland has a rich Inuit culture and offers opportunities to learn about their traditions and lifestyle.
Tasiilaq, Greenland does not offer much in terms of nightlife, with limited options for entertainment and socializing.
Tasiilaq, Greenland offers thrilling outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, and exploring icebergs, making it a paradise for adventure seekers.
Tasiilaq, Greenland provides a serene and peaceful environment with stunning natural landscapes, making it a great place for relaxation.
Best time to visit Tasiilaq
Tasiilaq, Greenland is a breathtaking destination that offers unique experiences throughout the year. If you're a fan of winter wonderlands and want to witness the mesmerizing Northern Lights, the best time to visit is from December to February. However, be prepared for extremely cold temperatures. For milder weather and opportunities to hike, kayak, and explore the stunning landscapes, the months of June to August are ideal. Although it's the peak tourist season, the longer days and wildlife sightings make it worth it. Plan your trip wisely and immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Tasiilaq!
A guide To your first day of Tasiilaq vacation
- Go hiking in the breathtaking mountains to enjoy the stunning views
- Take a boat tour to explore the nearby fjords and glaciers
- Visit the local museum to learn about the rich history and culture of Tasiilaq
- Experience traditional Greenlandic cuisine at a local restaurant
- Join a guided Northern Lights tour to witness the magical dance of colors in the night sky
- Enjoy a cozy evening at a local pub, sipping on Greenlandic beer and mingling with the friendly locals
- Stay in a comfortable lodge or hotel and experience the unique tranquility of the Arctic night
- Go stargazing and marvel at the countless twinkling stars above
How to get to Tasiilaq
The most convenient way to reach Tasiilaq, Greenland is by flying to Kulusuk Airport (KUS). Kulusuk Airport is a small airport located on a beautiful island, just a short distance from Tasiilaq. It is well-connected to Reykjavik, Iceland and has regular flights from there. From Kulusuk, travelers can take a scenic helicopter transfer or a short boat ride to reach Tasiilaq.
By other means
Although Tasiilaq is not directly accessible by public transport, travelers can take a domestic flight from other major cities in Greenland, such as Nuuk or Kangerlussuaq, to reach Tasiilaq. These flights offer breathtaking views of Greenland's vast landscapes and are a unique way to experience the beauty of the region.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature enthusiasts, adventure seekers, and those interested in Inuit culture
How long to stay in Tasiilaq?
We recommend staying in Tasiilaq for at least 4-7 days to fully immerse yourself in the beauty of the destination and have enough time to explore the surrounding areas.
Similar destination to Tasiilaq, Greenland
Because Tasiilaq is known for nature,hiking and adventure these destinations might be a good fit for you: