Colmar - Vacation Briefing
Located in the northeast of France, Colmar is a charming and picturesque town that seems straight out of a fairytale. With its well-preserved medieval architecture, colorful half-timbered houses, and scenic canals, Colmar is often called the 'Little Venice' of Alsace. The town is known for its rich history, enchanting beauty, and world-class wines. Visitors can wander through its cobblestone streets, explore the numerous art galleries, enjoy delicious Alsatian cuisine, and experience the warm hospitality of the locals. Colmar is the perfect destination for those seeking a magical and romantic getaway.
Popular Sights in Colmar
Things to do during your Colmar vacation
Colmar is a picturesque town in northeastern France, known for its well-preserved old town, colorful half-timbered houses, and charming canals. It offers a perfect blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Here are some of the top things to do in Colmar:
- Little Venice: Take a leisurely boat ride along the canals of Little Venice, lined with beautiful half-timbered houses.
- Unterlinden Museum: Explore the impressive art collections housed in the former Dominican convent, including the famous Isenheim Altarpiece.
- Colmar Covered Market: Indulge in the local gastronomy at the vibrant covered market, offering a wide range of fresh produce, delicacies, and regional specialties.
- Colmar Museum of Toys: Discover a fascinating collection of antique toys and games dating back to the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Koïfhus (Old Custom House): Visit the historical Koïfhus, a stunning Gothic building that served as the customs office in the past and now hosts the Tourist Office.
- Saint-Martin Collegiate Church: Admire the impressive architecture and intricate stained glass windows of this 13th-century Gothic church.
- Bicycle Tour: Rent a bicycle and explore the scenic countryside surrounding Colmar on one of the well-marked cycling routes.
- Eglise des Dominicains: Marvel at the impressive 14th-century architecture and stunning interior of the Dominican Church.
- Musée Bartholdi: Learn about the life and work of the famous sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, creator of the Statue of Liberty.
- Colmar Christmas Market: Experience the magical atmosphere of the renowned Colmar Christmas Market, filled with festive stalls and charming decorations.
- Wine Tasting: Sample the exquisite Alsatian wines by visiting one of the local wineries or wine cellars in Colmar.
Why you should visit Colmar
Colmar, France is a highly desirable destination with a lot to offer.
Colmar, France is generally safe with a low crime rate and stable political environment. However, like any tourist destination, it's always important to remain cautious and be aware of your surroundings.
Colmar, France is rich in culture with its well-preserved medieval architecture, charming streets, and historical sites. The city also boasts a diverse culinary scene and is known for its Alsatian cuisine.
Colmar, France offers a decent nightlife scene with a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from. However, it is not known for its vibrant nightlife compared to some other cities.
Colmar, France is not a destination known for adventure activities. While there are opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking and cycling in the surrounding area, it is not a hotspot for extreme sports or adrenaline-pumping adventures.
Colmar, France offers a relaxing atmosphere with its picturesque canals, scenic landscapes, and charming atmosphere. Visitors can enjoy leisurely walks, take boat rides along the canals, or simply relax in the cozy cafes.
Best time to visit Colmar
The best time to travel to Colmar, France is from May to September. These months offer pleasant temperatures and a vibrant atmosphere, perfect for exploring the charming streets and enjoying outdoor activities.
A guide To your first day of Colmar vacation
- Explore the charming streets of Colmar's old town, known for its well-preserved medieval and Renaissance buildings.
- Visit the Unterlinden Museum to admire its impressive collection of artwork, including the famous Isenheim Altarpiece.
- Take a scenic boat ride along the Lauch River to enjoy picturesque views of Colmar's half-timbered houses and flower-decked bridges.
- Indulge in some wine tasting at one of the local wineries in the surrounding Alsace region.
- Have a delightful dinner at a traditional Alsatian restaurant, where you can savor dishes like choucroute and tarte flambée.
- Stroll along the illuminated streets of Colmar and soak up the enchanting atmosphere of the city at night.
- Enjoy a relaxing evening at a cozy wine bar, where you can sample a variety of regional wines and unwind.
- Explore the local nightlife scene by visiting one of Colmar's lively bars or clubs for music and dancing.
How to get to Colmar
The most convenient airports for reaching Colmar are Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg (BSL/MLH/EAP) and Strasbourg (SXB). Both airports offer frequent international flights and are well-connected to Colmar by train or car. Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg is just a short train ride away, while Strasbourg is approximately 1 hour away by train. Consider booking a flight to these airports for a convenient and hassle-free journey to Colmar.
- Check direct connections to BSL Airport
- Check direct connections to MLH Airport
- Check direct connections to EAP Airport
- Check direct connections to SXB Airport
By other means
Colmar is easily accessible by train and bus. The city has a well-connected train station with regular services from major cities like Paris and Strasbourg. Traveling by train not only offers scenic views of the French countryside but also allows for convenient exploration of other nearby towns and attractions. Buses are also available, providing additional transportation options within Colmar and surrounding areas.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Colmar is ideal for couples seeking a romantic escape, history enthusiasts, art lovers, and wine connoisseurs.
How long to stay in Colmar?
To fully immerse yourself in the enchanting atmosphere of Colmar and explore its attractions, it is recommended to stay for at least 2-3 days.
Similar destination to Colmar, France
Because Colmar is known for nature,sightseeing,history,culture and architecture these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Colmar, France you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: