Savonlinna - Vacation Briefing
Nestled in the Finnish Lakeland, Savonlinna is a picturesque town surrounded by pristine lakes and enchanting forests. With its rich history and stunning architecture, Savonlinna is a destination that captures the heart of every traveler. Explore the world-famous Olavinlinna Castle, a medieval fortress that hosts the renowned Savonlinna Opera Festival. Take a leisurely stroll along the charming waterfront and immerse yourself in the tranquility of nature. Indulge in authentic Finnish cuisine and savor the flavors of local delicacies. Experience the warm hospitality of the locals and discover the unique cultural traditions of Savonlinna.
Popular Sights in Savonlinna
Things to do during your Savonlinna vacation
Savonlinna is a charming city located in eastern Finland. Known for its beautiful lakes and stunning scenery, this destination offers a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you're interested in exploring historic landmarks, trying local cuisine, or enjoying nature, Savonlinna has something for everyone.
- Olavinlinna Castle: Visit the famous Olavinlinna Castle, a medieval fortress that dates back to the 15th century.
- Savonlinnan maakuntamuseo: Explore the Savonlinna Provincial Museum and learn about the history and culture of the region.
- Lusto - The Finnish Forest Museum: Immerse yourself in Finnish nature and forestry at Lusto, an interactive museum dedicated to forests and wood.
- Savonlinna Market Square: Stroll through the bustling Market Square and discover local produce, crafts, and souvenirs.
- Savonlinna Provincial Theatre: Catch a mesmerizing performance at the Savonlinna Provincial Theatre, known for its opera and ballet productions.
- Saimaa Ringed Seal Watching: Embark on a unique wildlife experience and go seal watching in the beautiful Saimaa Lake.
- Savonlinna Cathedral: Visit the picturesque Savonlinna Cathedral, a beautiful example of neo-Gothic architecture.
- Savonlinnan Taidelasi Oy - The Art Glass Factory: Discover the art of glassblowing at the Savonlinnan Taidelasi Oy and witness skilled artisans crafting beautiful glass pieces.
- Savonlinna Provincial Library: Indulge in a quiet moment of reading at the Savonlinna Provincial Library, known for its extensive collection of books.
- Savonlinna Music Academy: Attend a concert or cultural event at the Savonlinna Music Academy, a prestigious music institution.
- Savonlinna Gardens: Relax and unwind in the charming Savonlinna Gardens, surrounded by beautiful flowers and greenery.
Why you should visit Savonlinna
Savonlinna, Finland is a decent destination with several attractions and activities to offer.
Savonlinna, Finland is a safe destination with low crime rates and political stability.
Savonlinna, Finland is rich in culture with its historical sites, museums, and diverse culinary options.
The nightlife in Savonlinna, Finland is average with a few bars and pubs available for entertainment.
Savonlinna, Finland offers some adventure activities like hiking and skiing, but there are limited extreme sports options.
Savonlinna, Finland is a highly relaxing destination with its beautiful lakes and serene atmosphere.
Best time to visit Savonlinna
Savonlinna, Finland offers a range of experiences throughout the year. For warm weather and cultural events, visit between June and August. If you prefer winter activities and snowy landscapes, plan your trip between December and February.
A guide To your first day of Savonlinna vacation
- * Visit Olavinlinna Castle: Explore the stunning medieval castle, known for its rich history and beautiful architecture. Don't miss the chance to attend a live opera performance if available.
- * Take a leisurely boat tour on Lake Saimaa: Enjoy the serene natural beauty of the lake and its surrounding islands while learning about the local flora and fauna.
- * Explore the Savonlinna Market Square: Wander among the local stalls, indulge in traditional Finnish delicacies, and shop for unique souvenirs.
- * Visit the Lusto Forest Museum: Immerse yourself in Finland's forest culture and learn about its significance through interactive exhibitions and guided walks.
- * Enjoy a delicious dinner at a lakeside restaurant: Savor Finnish cuisine while enjoying breathtaking views of the lake and the surrounding nature.
- * Attend a summer opera performance at the Savonlinna Opera Festival: Experience world-class opera in a unique setting inside Olavinlinna Castle.
- * Take a midnight sun cruise on the lake: Witness the magical phenomenon of the sun not setting below the horizon, creating a surreal atmosphere.
- * Relax at a lakeside sauna: Unwind in a traditional Finnish sauna, which is a quintessential part of Finnish culture, followed by a refreshing dip in the lake.
How to get to Savonlinna
The most convenient international airports for reaching Savonlinna are Helsinki (HEL) and Tampere (TMP). Helsinki is a major hub with excellent global connections, while Tampere offers convenient connections from many European cities. Both airports provide easy access to Savonlinna via connecting flights or ground transportation.
By other means
Savonlinna can be reached by train or bus from major Finnish cities like Helsinki and Tampere. The Finnish rail network offers comfortable and scenic journeys, while buses provide a flexible option. Travelers can also choose to arrive by ferry, with routes connecting Savonlinna to other towns and cities around the beautiful Finnish lakes.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature lovers, history enthusiasts, and culture seekers
How long to stay in Savonlinna?
We recommend staying in Savonlinna for at least 3-4 days to fully immerse yourself in its beauty and experience all the attractions it has to offer.