Hiiumaa - Vacation Briefing
Hiiumaa, Estonia is a beautiful island paradise located in the Baltic Sea. With its untouched natural landscapes, charming fishing villages, and rich cultural heritage, it offers a unique and serene getaway. Explore the island's numerous hiking trails, stunning sandy beaches, and picturesque lighthouses. Immerse yourself in the local traditions and folklore, and indulge in delicious seafood delicacies. Hiiumaa is the perfect destination for nature lovers, adventure seekers, and those looking for an authentic Baltic experience.
Popular Sights in Hiiumaa
Things to do during your Hiiumaa vacation
Hiiumaa is a beautiful island located in Estonia. It offers a wide range of activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you're interested in exploring nature, history, or trying out new adventures, Hiiumaa has something for everyone.
- Kärdla Old Town: Take a stroll through the charming streets of Kärdla Old Town and admire the well-preserved wooden houses.
- Tahkuna Lighthouse: Visit the picturesque Tahkuna Lighthouse, offering stunning views of the surrounding coastline.
- Kõpu Lighthouse: Explore the iconic Kõpu Lighthouse, one of the oldest lighthouses in the world, located on a scenic hilltop.
- Sõru Maritime Museum: Learn about Hiiumaa's maritime history at the Sõru Maritime Museum, showcasing various exhibits and interactive displays.
- Kassari Chapel: Visit the charming Kassari Chapel, known for its unique wooden architecture and peaceful surroundings.
- Hiiumaa Military Museum: Discover the military history of Hiiumaa at the Hiiumaa Military Museum, featuring a collection of artifacts and informative exhibits.
- Nõva Nature Reserve: Immerse yourself in the beautiful nature of the Nõva Nature Reserve, with its diverse wildlife, walking trails, and scenic views.
- Suuremõisa Castle: Explore the stunning Suuremõisa Castle, a 16th-century fortress, and learn about its rich history.
- Orjaku Harbor: Relax by the picturesque Orjaku Harbor, enjoy a delicious meal at local restaurants, and soak in the peaceful atmosphere.
- Surfing at Ristna Beach: Experience the thrill of surfing at Ristna Beach, known for its consistent waves and suitable conditions for beginners and experienced surfers alike.
- Cycling around Hiiumaa: Rent a bicycle and explore Hiiumaa at your own pace, enjoying the scenic countryside, charming villages, and coastal paths.
Why you should visit Hiiumaa
Hiiumaa, Estonia is an average destination with some notable attractions but lacks in certain aspects.
Hiiumaa, Estonia is generally safe with low crime rates and political stability.
Hiiumaa, Estonia offers some cultural experiences with its museums and historical sites, but it may not have a diverse cultural scene or exceptional cuisine.
Hiiumaa, Estonia has limited nightlife options and is not a vibrant destination for party-goers.
Hiiumaa, Estonia does not offer many adventurous activities such as surfing, skiing, or bungee jumping. It is more suited for tranquil experiences.
Hiiumaa, Estonia is a relaxing destination with beautiful beaches, hiking opportunities, and peaceful lakes.
Best time to visit Hiiumaa
Hiiumaa, Estonia is a charming island with a diverse climate that makes it appealing to different kinds of travelers. The best times to visit are in the summer months of June to August, when the weather is warm, and activities such as swimming and hiking are enjoyable without heavy crowds. However, if you prefer cooler temperatures and a quieter atmosphere, September and October provide a pleasant autumn experience with colorful landscapes and cozy accommodation options.
A guide To your first day of Hiiumaa vacation
- Explore the Kassari-Sõru Nature Reserve and enjoy a peaceful walk along the coastal trails.
- Visit the Hiiumaa Museum to learn about the island's history and culture.
- Take a scenic bike ride around Hiiumaa and discover the charming villages and beautiful landscapes.
- Relax on the sandy beaches of Pühalepa Bay and go for a refreshing swim in the Baltic Sea.
- Enjoy a delicious seafood dinner at one of the local restaurants in the capital, Kärdla.
- Watch the sunset at Tahkuna Lighthouse and marvel at the stunning views of the coastline.
- Stargaze at the Dark Sky Park in Kõpu and admire the clear night sky filled with stars.
- Experience the traditional sauna culture of Estonia and relax in a Finnish-style smoke sauna.
How to get to Hiiumaa
Tallinn Airport (TLL) is the most convenient international airport for reaching Hiiumaa, Estonia. With frequent flights from major European cities, it offers a seamless travel experience. From the airport, you can take a taxi or shuttle to Rohuküla Port, where a ferry ride of approximately 90 minutes will take you to Hiiumaa.
By other means
Tallinn, the capital city of Estonia, is well-connected to Hiiumaa by public transport. From Tallinn, you can take a bus or a train to Rohuküla Port. From there, a ferry ride of approximately 90 minutes will transport you to Hiiumaa. The public transport network in Tallinn is reliable and efficient, making it easy to reach Rohuküla Port.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature lovers, adventure seekers, and those seeking an authentic Baltic experience
How long to stay in Hiiumaa?
A minimum of 3-4 days is recommended to fully explore the island and experience its beauty, but longer stays are highly encouraged for a more immersive experience.
If you're already in Hiiumaa, Estonia you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: