Bornholm - Vacation Briefing
Located in the Baltic Sea, Bornholm is a Danish island known for its charming and unspoiled beauty. With its rolling hills, rocky coastline, and pristine sandy beaches, Bornholm offers a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. The island is also famous for its medieval round churches, quaint fishing villages, and the iconic Hammershus Castle. Nature lovers can explore the stunning Almindingen Forest or go hiking along the dramatic cliffs of Jons Kapel. For food enthusiasts, Bornholm is a culinary paradise, renowned for its smoked herring, beer, and local produce.
Popular Sights in Bornholm
Things to do during your Bornholm vacation
Discover the enchanting island of Bornholm nestled in Denmark. With its rich history, beautiful landscapes, and vibrant culture, there are plenty of exciting things to do on this island oasis.
- Hike Hammeren: Embark on a scenic hike along the Hammeren peninsula and marvel at breathtaking views of the rugged coastline and the Baltic Sea.
- Visit Hammershus: Explore the medieval ruins of Hammershus Castle, the largest castle ruin in Northern Europe, and learn about its fascinating history.
- Cycle the Paradisbakkerne: Hop on a bike and explore the lush green landscape of Paradisbakkerne, a hilly nature reserve filled with stunning viewpoints and hidden valleys.
- Tour the Oluf Høst Museum: Immerse yourself in the world of Danish art at the Oluf Høst Museum, which exhibits the works of the renowned Bornholm painter, Oluf Høst.
- Relax at Dueodde Beach: Unwind on the white sandy shores of Dueodde Beach, known for its crystal clear waters and picturesque dunes.
- Explore Almindingen Forest: Discover the enchanting Almindingen Forest, which offers scenic walking trails, charming lakes, and the iconic round church of Olsker.
- Taste Local Delicacies at Gudhjem Smokehouse: Indulge in the delectable smoked fish specialties at Gudhjem Smokehouse, where you can savor the authentic flavors of Bornholm.
- Visit the Bornholm Art Museum: Immerse yourself in contemporary art at the Bornholm Art Museum, showcasing works by local and international artists.
- Experience the Bornholm Butterfly Park: Step into a tropical paradise at the Bornholm Butterfly Park, where you can admire beautiful butterflies from around the world.
- Go Kayaking along the Coast: Paddle along the picturesque coastline of Bornholm on a kayaking adventure, exploring hidden coves and sea caves.
- Discover the Helligdomsklipperne: Marvel at the unique rock formations of Helligdomsklipperne, towering cliffs that offer breathtaking views of the sea and the rocky coast.
Why you should visit Bornholm
Bornholm, Denmark is a moderately desirable destination with some attractive features.
Bornholm, Denmark is generally safe with low crime rates and political stability.
Bornholm, Denmark offers a rich cultural experience with its museums, historical sites, and diverse food options.
The nightlife in Bornholm, Denmark is limited, with few options for entertainment and vibrant nightlife scenes.
Bornholm, Denmark has limited adventure activities, but you can still indulge in outdoor activities like cycling and exploring the scenic landscapes.
Bornholm, Denmark is known for its relaxing atmosphere, beautiful beaches, and opportunities for hiking and enjoying nature.
Best time to visit Bornholm
Bornholm, Denmark, experiences a temperate maritime climate, making it pleasant to visit throughout the year. However, the best time to go is from May to September when the weather is warm, and the island is bustling with outdoor activities and events.
A guide To your first day of Bornholm vacation
- Visit Hammershus Castle, one of Europe's largest medieval fortresses.
- Explore the quaint town of Gudhjem and enjoy the beautiful views from its cliffs.
- Take a cycling tour around the island and discover its stunning landscapes.
- Visit the Bornholm Art Museum and admire the local artistic talent.
- Indulge in a delicious seafood dinner at one of the island's charming restaurants.
- Watch the sunset at Dueodde Beach, known for its fine white sand.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife in the capital city of Rønne.
- Enjoy live music and drinks at a cozy pub in the town of Svaneke.
How to get to Bornholm
Copenhagen Airport (CPH) is the most convenient gateway to Bornholm, Denmark. With frequent international flights and excellent connections, it provides a hassle-free travel experience. From the airport, travelers can take a short domestic flight to Bornholm Airport (RNN) or opt for a scenic 3.5-hour train ride followed by a ferry crossing. Tip: Booking a combined train and ferry ticket can save time and money.
By other means
Traveling to Bornholm by public transport is a breeze. Copenhagen Centraal is a major rail hub, offering high-speed connections across Europe. From there, hop on a train to Ystad in Sweden, followed by a ferry ride to Rønne, Bornholm. The ferry journey is a great opportunity to relax and enjoy the stunning Baltic Sea views. Tip: Check the ferry schedule in advance to plan your journey smoothly.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Beach lovers, nature enthusiasts, history buffs, and foodies
How long to stay in Bornholm?
To fully experience the beauty and attractions of Bornholm, it is recommended to stay for at least 3-5 days.
Similar destination to Bornholm, Denmark
Because Bornholm is known for nature,beach,sightseeing,history,culture and architecture these destinations might be a good fit for you: