Puerto Viejo - Vacation Briefing
Puerto Viejo is a charming beach town located on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. With its pristine white sandy beaches, crystal clear turquoise waters, and lush tropical rainforests, it is a true paradise for nature lovers and beach enthusiasts. Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture, indulge in delicious Caribbean cuisine, and experience the laid-back vibe of this idyllic destination.
Popular Sights in Puerto Viejo
Things to do during your Puerto Viejo vacation
Welcome to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica! This vibrant coastal town is famous for its stunning beaches, lush rainforests, and vibrant Caribbean culture. Whether you're a nature enthusiast or a beach lover, Puerto Viejo offers a wide range of activities for every type of traveler.
- Explore Cahuita National Park: Take a leisurely hike through the pristine rainforests and discover the diverse wildlife that inhabits the park, including monkeys, sloths, and colorful tropical birds.
- Relax at Playa Cocles: Spend a day sunbathing on the golden sands of Playa Cocles, one of Puerto Viejo's most beautiful and tranquil beaches. Don't forget your sunscreen!
- Surf at Salsa Brava: Catch some epic waves at Salsa Brava, one of Costa Rica's most famous surf breaks. This powerful reef break is not recommended for beginners.
- Experience the Jaguar Rescue Center: Visit this renowned wildlife rescue center and get up close and personal with injured and orphaned animals, including monkeys, sloths, and anteaters.
- Snorkel at Punta Uva: Dive into the crystal-clear waters of Punta Uva and discover a colorful underwater world filled with tropical fish, coral reefs, and marine life.
- Take a Chocolate Tour at Caribeans: Indulge your taste buds and learn about the art of chocolate making on a guided tour of Caribeans chocolate farm. Don't forget to sample some delicious handmade chocolates!
- Visit the Bribri Indigenous Reserve: Immerse yourself in the rich indigenous culture of the Bribri people by visiting their reserve. Learn about their traditions, try traditional foods, and view their intricate handicrafts.
- Explore the Gandoca-Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge: Embark on a guided hike through this pristine wildlife refuge and discover unique plants, exotic animals, and breathtaking coastal views.
- Go Ziplining through the Rainforest: Get your adrenaline pumping as you soar through the treetops on a thrilling zipline adventure. Enjoy panoramic views of the lush rainforest below.
- Discover the Indigenous Roots of Puerto Viejo: Visit the Kekoldi Indigenous Reserve and learn about the customs, traditions, and history of the local indigenous communities that call Puerto Viejo home.
- Enjoy the Nightlife at Salsa Brava: Dance the night away to lively reggae and salsa music at the vibrant bars and clubs around Salsa Brava. Experience the infectious energy of Puerto Viejo's nightlife scene.
Why you should visit Puerto Viejo
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica is a moderately desirable destination.
The safety in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica can be a concern. While the crime rate is relatively low, there have been reports of petty theft and pickpocketing. It is advisable to take precautions and avoid walking alone at night.
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica has a rich culture with a blend of Afro-Caribbean and indigenous influences. You can explore the local cuisine, visit indigenous communities, and learn about the history and traditions of the region.
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica offers a decent nightlife scene. There are several bars and clubs where you can enjoy live music and dance the night away.
For adventure enthusiasts, Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica offers a variety of thrilling activities. You can go snorkeling or scuba diving in the vibrant coral reefs, explore the lush rainforests on a zip line tour, or try your hand at surfing the famous Salsa Brava waves.
Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica is known for its beautiful beaches and tranquil atmosphere. You can relax on the sandy shores, take a leisurely bike ride through the town, or indulge in a spa treatment.
Best time to visit Puerto Viejo
The best time to travel to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica is from March to May and between September and November. During these months, the weather is pleasant and there are fewer crowds, allowing you to fully enjoy the beauty of the area.
A guide To your first day of Puerto Viejo vacation
- Start your day with a relaxing walk along the beautiful beaches of Puerto Viejo.
- Visit the local farmer's market to experience the vibrant culture and taste some delicious fresh tropical fruits.
- Explore the lush rainforests of Cahuita National Park and spot exotic wildlife such as monkeys and sloths.
- Take a dip in the crystal-clear waters of Punta Uva beach and enjoy some snorkeling or swimming.
- Indulge in the flavorful local cuisine at one of the many beachfront restaurants in Puerto Viejo.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife of Puerto Viejo with live music and salsa dancing at the local bars and clubs.
- Take a night walk on the beach to witness the magical sight of bioluminescent plankton lighting up the shore.
- Relax and unwind with a refreshing cocktail while listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore.
How to get to Puerto Viejo
The most convenient way to reach Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica is by flying into Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in San Jose. SJO is the largest and busiest airport in the country, with frequent international flights. From there, you can take a domestic flight to Limon International Airport (LIO), which is the closest airport to Puerto Viejo. Alternatively, you can take a shuttle or private transportation from San Jose to Puerto Viejo, which takes around 4 hours. It's recommended to book your domestic flights and ground transportation in advance for a smooth journey.
By other means
To reach Puerto Viejo by public transport, you can take a domestic bus from San Jose to Puerto Viejo. The journey takes around 4-5 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions. The bus departs from San Jose's Caribe Terminal and offers scenic views as it passes through picturesque towns and lush rainforests. Another option is to take a shared shuttle or private transportation, which provides a more comfortable and direct journey. It's advisable to check the bus schedules and book your transportation in advance to ensure availability.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature lovers, beach enthusiasts, adventure seekers, and those seeking a laid-back Caribbean experience
How long to stay in Puerto Viejo?
Ideally, plan to stay for at least 3-5 days to fully immerse yourself in the natural beauty and experience the local culture of Puerto Viejo.
Similar destination to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica
Because Puerto Viejo is known for nature,relaxation,beach,sightseeing and adventure these destinations might be a good fit for you:
If you're already in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: