Battambang - Vacation Briefing
Battambang, located in northwestern Cambodia, is a vibrant city known for its rich cultural heritage and charming countryside. With its well-preserved colonial architecture and ancient temples, Battambang offers a glimpse into the country's history and traditions. Explore the famous Bamboo Train, a unique mode of transportation, and marvel at the Phnom Sampeau's Killing Caves, a somber reminder of Cambodia's past. The city also boasts a thriving arts scene, with numerous art galleries and workshops showcasing local talent. Don't miss the opportunity to explore the beautiful countryside, featuring picturesque rice fields and traditional Khmer villages.
Popular Sights in Battambang
Things to do during your Battambang vacation
Welcome to Battambang, Cambodia! This charming city tucked away in northwest Cambodia offers a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. Explore ancient temples, vibrant markets, and picturesque landscapes. Whether you're an adventure seeker or a culture enthusiast, Battambang has something for everyone.
- Bamboo Train: Experience the thrill of riding the famous bamboo train, known as 'norry,' through the beautiful countryside.
- Phare Ponleu Selpak: Catch an incredible performance by the talented circus artists at Phare Ponleu Selpak, an NGO that supports Cambodian youth.
- Battambang Night Market: Stroll through the bustling Battambang Night Market and taste delicious street food while shopping for handicrafts and souvenirs.
- Wat Banan Temple: Visit the impressive Wat Banan Temple, located on a hilltop, and marvel at the stunning panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Bamboo Rice: Try the unique local specialty, bamboo sticky rice, cooked inside the bamboo stalk for a delectable and aromatic treat.
- Battambang Provincial Museum: Discover the rich history and culture of Battambang at the Provincial Museum, featuring ancient artifacts and traditional artworks.
- Phnom Sampov: Explore the dramatic limestone hill of Phnom Sampov, home to caves, shrines, and the infamous Killing Caves from the Khmer Rouge era.
- Battambang Winery: Indulge in a wine tasting experience at Battambang Winery and savor locally produced wines in a scenic vineyard setting.
- Bicycle Tour: Embark on a leisurely bicycle tour around Battambang's countryside, passing through rice fields, villages, and traditional homes.
- Ek Phnom Temple: Visit the ancient Ek Phnom Temple and admire the intricate carvings and well-preserved architecture dating back to the 11th century.
- Sampeau Mountain: Hike up Sampeau Mountain and witness millions of bats streaming out of the caves during sunset, creating a mesmerizing natural spectacle.
Why you should visit Battambang
Battambang, Cambodia is an average destination. It has its charms but also some drawbacks.
The safety rating for Battambang, Cambodia is relatively low. The area has some crime rate and political instability, so caution is advised.
Battambang, Cambodia has a rich culture with museums and historical sites to explore. Additionally, the local cuisine offers unique flavors.
Battambang, Cambodia offers a decent nightlife scene. There are some bars and clubs where you can enjoy music and drinks.
Battambang, Cambodia offers some adventurous activities like hiking and exploring ancient temples. However, it may not be the top choice for extreme adventure seekers.
Battambang, Cambodia provides some opportunities for relaxation such as serene countryside landscapes. However, it may not be the most tranquil destination due to urban congestion.
Best time to visit Battambang
Battambang, Cambodia offers delightful travel experiences all year round. However, the best time to visit is from November to February when the weather is pleasantly cool and dry, providing ideal conditions for exploring the city's rich culture and historical sites.
A guide To your first day of Battambang vacation
- Start your morning with a visit to the beautiful Wat Ek Phnom temple and admire its ancient architecture.
- Take a leisurely walk along the peaceful riverside promenade and enjoy the scenic views.
- Explore the historic Phnom Banan temple complex and climb to the top for panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
- Visit the Battambang Bamboo Train and experience a unique and thrilling ride through the countryside.
- Indulge in a delicious Cambodian dinner at one of the local restaurants along the bustling Pub Street.
- Catch a traditional Khmer performance at the Phare Ponleu Selpak circus and be amazed by the acrobatics and storytelling.
- Take a relaxing evening stroll through the charming colonial streets of Battambang and admire the beautiful architecture.
- Visit the Night Market and browse through a variety of local handicrafts, souvenirs, and street food stalls.
How to get to Battambang
Phnom Penh International Airport (PNH) is the primary gateway to Battambang, Cambodia. With excellent connections to major cities like Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, and Kuala Lumpur, it's highly convenient for international travelers. Upon arrival, travelers can easily hire a taxi or arrange a private transfer to reach Battambang, located about 320 kilometers northwest of Phnom Penh.
By other means
Battambang can be reached by bus or taxi from Phnom Penh, the capital of Cambodia. Travelers can hop on a comfortable bus at the bustling Phnom Penh Central Bus Station and enjoy a scenic journey through the countryside. The ride takes approximately 6-7 hours, offering insight into Cambodia's rural landscapes. Alternatively, private taxis provide a faster and more flexible option.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Culture enthusiasts, history buffs, and adventure seekers
How long to stay in Battambang?
3-4 days to fully experience the highlights of Battambang
If you're already in Battambang, Cambodia you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: