Mechelen - Vacation Briefing
Nestled in the heart of Flanders, Mechelen is a charming city with a rich history and vibrant culture. With its cobblestone streets, medieval architecture, and picturesque canals, it's a destination that will transport you back in time. Discover impressive landmarks like the St. Rumbold's Cathedral and the Grote Markt, or immerse yourself in the city's thriving art scene at the Hof van Busleyden museum. Mechelen also offers a variety of culinary delights, from traditional Belgian beer to mouthwatering chocolate. Whether you're a history enthusiast, an art lover, or a foodie, Mechelen has something for everyone.
Popular Sights in Mechelen
Things to do during your Mechelen vacation
Mechelen is a charming city in Belgium, known for its rich history and stunning architecture. With plenty of cultural and recreational activities to offer, there is something to suit every traveler's taste. Explore the city's historical landmarks, visit fascinating museums, enjoy delicious local cuisine, and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere.
- St. Rumbold's Cathedral: Marvel at the majestic beauty of Mechelen's iconic cathedral, with its stunning architecture and panoramic views from the tower.
- Mechelen City Hall: Visit the impressive City Hall building, an architectural masterpiece, and learn about the history of Mechelen.
- Grote Markt: Experience the lively atmosphere of Mechelen's central square, surrounded by beautiful medieval buildings and cozy cafes.
- Mechelen Toy Museum: Indulge your inner child at the Mechelen Toy Museum, showcasing a large collection of vintage toys and games.
- Beguinage: Step into the peaceful Beguinage, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and explore the well-preserved houses and gardens.
- Royal Manufacturers De Wit: Discover the art of tapestry at Royal Manufacturers De Wit, where you can admire intricate tapestries and witness the weaving process.
- Technopolis: Engage in interactive science exhibits and experiments at Technopolis, a fun and educational attraction for all ages.
- Flemish Open-Air Museum Bokrijk: Take a day trip to the nearby Flemish Open-Air Museum Bokrijk, where you can explore historical buildings and traditional crafts.
- Mechelen Breweries Tour: Embark on a beer-tasting adventure with a tour of Mechelen's breweries, learning about the brewing process and sampling delicious Belgian beers.
- Vrijbroek Park: Escape the bustling city and wander through the serene Vrijbroek Park, with its beautiful gardens, picturesque lakes, and walking trails.
- Dossin Barracks: Visit the Dossin Barracks, a memorial and museum dedicated to the history of the Holocaust in Belgium, providing important insights into the past.
Why you should visit Mechelen
Mechelen, Belgium offers a decent travel experience with a mix of cultural attractions and some adventurous activities.
Mechelen, Belgium is generally a safe destination with a low crime rate and stable political environment.
Mechelen, Belgium is rich in culture with many historical sites, museums, and a diverse culinary scene that offers a great opportunity to explore and learn.
The nightlife in Mechelen, Belgium is average. There are some bars and pubs, but it may not be as vibrant as in larger cities.
Mechelen, Belgium doesn't have many extreme adventure activities. It is more suitable for those looking for a cultural experience rather than adrenaline-fueled adventures.
While Mechelen, Belgium offers some parks and green spaces for relaxation, it may not be the most serene destination. It has a bustling city atmosphere.
Best time to visit Mechelen
Mechelen, Belgium is a charming city that offers something for every traveler throughout the year. However, the best time to visit is from May to September when the weather is pleasant, and the city comes alive with vibrant festivals and events.
A guide To your first day of Mechelen vacation
- Start your day by exploring the historic Grote Markt. Admire the beautiful architecture of the St. Rumbold's Cathedral and the City Hall.
- Take a leisurely stroll through the charming streets of Mechelen and discover its hidden gems, such as the picturesque Vismarkt and the quaint Begijnhof.
- Visit the famous Kazerne Dossin, a museum and memorial about the Holocaust. Learn about the history and pay tribute to the victims.
- Explore the Mechelen Toy Museum, a delightful place for both children and adults. Discover a wide range of toys from different eras.
- Enjoy a relaxing canal boat ride and admire the city's sights from a different perspective. Take in the beautiful scenery and unwind.
- Indulge in the local cuisine at one of Mechelen's cozy restaurants. Try traditional Belgian dishes like moules-frites (mussels and fries) or carbonade flamande (beef stew).
- Experience Mechelen's vibrant nightlife by visiting one of its lively bars or pubs. Enjoy a refreshing beer and immerse yourself in the local atmosphere.
- Attend a cultural event or live performance at one of Mechelen's theaters or concert halls. Be entertained and appreciate the city's artistic scene.
How to get to Mechelen
Brussels Airport (BRU) is the major international gateway to Mechelen, Belgium. With frequent flights from around the world, it provides convenient access to the city. From the airport, travelers can easily reach Mechelen by train or taxi, with a journey time of approximately 20 minutes. It is advisable to check the train schedules in advance for a hassle-free transfer.
By other means
Mechelen is well-connected by train, with Mechelen Centraal serving as a key rail hub. High-speed trains from cities like Brussels and Antwerp make it easy to reach Mechelen and explore nearby destinations. The city also has an extensive bus network, providing convenient transportation within Mechelen and to neighboring towns. Travelers can use the MOBIB card for seamless travel on public transport.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History enthusiasts, art lovers, and foodies
How long to stay in Mechelen?
If you're already in Mechelen, Belgium you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: