Antwerp - Vacation Briefing
Antwerp, Belgium is a captivating city that effortlessly blends bohemian charm with historic grandeur. Situated on the picturesque banks of the River Scheldt, Antwerp is known for its stunning architecture, world-renowned art scene, and vibrant fashion industry. Explore the city's medieval streets and discover hidden gems like the Gothic Cathedral of Our Lady and the stunning Antwerp Central Station. Visit the iconic MAS museum and delve into the city's maritime past or indulge in some retail therapy at the fashion boutiques and diamond shops that line the bustling shopping streets. With its rich history, artistic flair, and lively atmosphere, Antwerp is a destination that will captivate and inspire.
Popular Sights in Antwerp
Things to do during your Antwerp vacation
Antwerp is a vibrant city in Belgium that offers a variety of activities to its visitors. Whether you are interested in exploring historical landmarks, indulging in local cuisine, or shopping in fashion districts, Antwerp has something for everyone.
- Antwerp Central Station: Marvel at the stunning architecture of one of the most beautiful train stations in the world.
- MAS Museum: Discover the rich maritime history of Antwerp through interactive exhibits and panoramic views from the top.
- Antwerp Zoo: Visit one of the oldest and most renowned zoos in Europe, home to a wide array of fascinating animals.
- Cathedral of Our Lady: Admire the magnificent Gothic architecture and stunning artworks inside this iconic cathedral.
- Steen Castle: Step back in time as you explore this medieval fortress on the banks of the Scheldt River.
- Antwerpse Handjes: Sample the famous local delicacy, Antwerpse Handjes, a cookie shaped like a hand.
- Meir Shopping Street: Indulge in a shopping spree along Antwerp's most famous shopping street, lined with high-end boutiques and department stores.
- Street Art Tour: Embark on a guided tour to discover the vibrant street art scene and impressive murals throughout the city.
- Antwerp Diamond District: Explore the world's largest diamond trade center and learn about the city's diamond heritage.
- Museum Plantin-Moretus: Immerse yourself in the history of printing and visit the UNESCO World Heritage site housing a unique collection of books.
- Vlaeykensgang: Wander through this hidden alleyway dating back to the 16th century, filled with charming buildings and quaint atmosphere.
Why you should visit Antwerp
Antwerp, Belgium is a highly desirable destination with a lot to offer.
While Antwerp is generally safe, it's always important to stay vigilant and be cautious of pickpocketing in crowded areas.
Antwerp is rich in culture and history, with impressive museums, beautiful architecture, and a diverse culinary scene.
Antwerp has a vibrant nightlife scene with numerous bars, clubs, and restaurants to explore.
Antwerp may not be the best destination for adrenaline junkies seeking extreme adventures, but it does offer some opportunities for exploration and discovery.
While Antwerp offers some areas for relaxation like parks and green spaces, it is more known for its active and bustling atmosphere.
Best time to visit Antwerp
Antwerp is a charming destination with a lot to offer throughout the year. The best times to visit are from April to June and September to October, when the weather is mild, the city is vibrant, and the crowds are smaller.
A guide To your first day of Antwerp vacation
- Visit the iconic Antwerp Cathedral, a stunning Gothic masterpiece with breathtaking architecture.
- Explore the vibrant Antwerp Central Station, often referred to as the most beautiful train station in the world.
- Discover the historic Diamond District, known for its diamond trade and shops.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the charming streets of the Old Town, filled with quaint shops and cafés.
- Enjoy a delicious dinner at one of Antwerp's renowned seafood restaurants, known for their fresh catches.
- Immerse yourself in the city's vibrant nightlife by visiting trendy bars and clubs in the bustling city center.
- Take a romantic evening walk along the Scheldt River, admiring the beautiful illuminated city skyline.
- Attend a live performance at the Royal Flemish Theatre, showcasing a wide range of artistic productions.
How to get to Antwerp
Antwerp is easily accessible by plane through Brussels Airport (BRU), which offers frequent international flights and has excellent connections to the city center via train or bus. Alternatively, travelers can also consider flying into Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS) or Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG), which both offer convenient transfer options to Antwerp.
- Check direct connections to BRU Airport
- Check direct connections to AMS Airport
- Check direct connections to CDG Airport
By other means
Reaching Antwerp by public transport is convenient and hassle-free. Antwerp Centraal is a major railway station with high-speed connections to cities like Brussels, Amsterdam, and Paris. The city also has a well-developed bus network with regular services to nearby towns and cities. Additionally, Antwerp is easily accessible by ferry, with routes connecting to various cities along the Rhine River.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Art enthusiasts, history buffs, fashionistas, and food lovers
How long to stay in Antwerp?
To truly experience the charm of Antwerp, plan to stay for at least 3-4 days. This will give you enough time to explore the city's main attractions, soak in its cultural offerings, and indulge in its culinary delights.
If you're already in Antwerp, Belgium you might want to consider visiting these nearby destinations: