Exuma Cays - Vacation Briefing
Exuma Cays, Bahamas is a breathtaking destination renowned for its pristine beaches, crystal clear turquoise waters, and untouched natural beauty. Located in the Out Islands of the Bahamas, this hidden gem offers a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. The Exuma Cays comprise a chain of over 365 islands and cays, each offering its unique charm. Whether you're relaxing on the powdery white sands, exploring the vibrant coral reefs, or swimming with the famous swimming pigs, Exuma Cays offers an unforgettable experience for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike.
Popular Sights in Exuma Cays
Things to do during your Exuma Cays vacation
Exuma Cays is a pristine archipelago in the Bahamas known for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant marine life, and stunning secluded beaches. With its untouched natural beauty and abundance of outdoor activities, Exuma Cays is a paradise for adventure and relaxation.
- Swim with the Pigs: Experience the unique opportunity to swim with adorable and friendly pigs at Pig Beach.
- Visit Thunderball Grotto: Explore the underwater cave system made famous by the James Bond movie, Thunderball.
- Snorkel at Shark Reef: Embark on an exciting snorkeling adventure at Shark Reef and witness a variety of shark species up-close.
- Kayak through Moriah Harbour Cay: Discover the picturesque beauty of the Moriah Harbour Cay National Park while kayaking through its serene mangroves.
- Explore the Exuma Cays Land and Sea Park: Immerse yourself in nature by exploring the protected marine environment, hiking trails, and vibrant coral reefs of this national park.
- Take a Boat Tour to Compass Cay: Indulge in a relaxing day trip to Compass Cay and swim with friendly nurse sharks in the crystal-clear waters.
- Relax on Stocking Island: Unwind on the pristine shores of Stocking Island, enjoy sunbathing, beachcombing, and snorkeling in the turquoise waters.
- Go Bonefishing: Try your hand at bonefishing in the crystal-clear flats of Exuma Cays and test your skills in catching elusive bonefish.
- Visit the Tropic of Cancer Beach: Spend a day at the stunning Tropic of Cancer Beach, known for its powdery white sand and azure waters.
- Go Sailing and Island Hopping: Rent a sailboat or join a sailing tour to explore the beautiful cays and hidden beaches of Exuma Cays.
- Indulge in Local Cuisine: Taste the flavors of the Bahamas by trying local dishes, such as conch salad, cracked conch, or Bahamian-style seafood.
Why you should visit Exuma Cays
Exuma Cays, Bahamas is an incredible destination with its stunning beaches and crystal clear waters. It offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy.
While Exuma Cays is generally safe, it's important to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. Petty theft can occur, especially in tourist areas. Additionally, it's important to pay attention to weather conditions and any potential natural disasters, such as hurricanes.
Exuma Cays offers some cultural experiences through its local cuisine and friendly residents. However, it may not have as many museums or historical sites compared to other destinations in the Bahamas.
Exuma Cays is not known for its nightlife. The area is more focused on natural beauty and outdoor activities. Visitors looking for a vibrant nightlife scene might be disappointed.
Exuma Cays offers a range of exciting adventures, such as snorkeling, scuba diving, and swimming with pigs. Visitors can explore the vibrant marine life and beautiful coral reefs, making it an ideal destination for adventure enthusiasts.
Exuma Cays is a paradise for those seeking relaxation. The pristine beaches, secluded coves, and tranquil atmosphere make it the perfect place to unwind and enjoy the natural beauty of the Bahamas.
Best time to visit Exuma Cays
The best time to travel to Exuma Cays, Bahamas is from December to April. During these months, you can enjoy warm temperatures, clear skies, and a vibrant marine life. However, keep in mind that this is the peak tourist season, so expect larger crowds and higher prices.
A guide To your first day of Exuma Cays vacation
- Explore the famous Thunderball Grotto, a stunning underwater cave where the James Bond movie 'Thunderball' was filmed.
- Take a boat tour to see the famous swimming pigs of Exuma, an unforgettable experience.
- Snorkel in the crystal-clear waters and discover the vibrant marine life.
- Relax on the white sandy beaches and soak up the sun.
- Enjoy a delicious seafood dinner at one of the waterfront restaurants, offering the freshest catch of the day.
- Watch a beautiful sunset from one of the beachfront bars while sipping on a refreshing cocktail.
- Take a stroll along the beach under the starry sky and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
- Visit the Lumina Point Resort for some live music and entertainment, adding a touch of excitement to your evening.
How to get to Exuma Cays
Exuma Cays can be conveniently reached by flying to Bahamas' main international airports: Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS) in Nassau and Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO) in Freeport. These airports offer frequent flights from major global hubs, ensuring easy access to the paradise islands. From there, travelers can take a connecting flight or reach Exuma Cays via boat or ferry, providing a seamless transition to this stunning destination.
- Check direct connections to NAS Airport
- Check direct connections to FPO Airport
- Check direct connections to GGT Airport
By other means
Public transport options to reach Exuma Cays are limited due to its remote location. However, travelers can take a short flight from Nassau or Freeport to reach George Town Airport (GGT) in Great Exuma. From there, local taxis or rental cars are the most convenient way to explore the cays and discover their natural beauty. It's recommended to book transportation in advance to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
Nature lovers, beach enthusiasts, and adventure seekers
How long to stay in Exuma Cays?
A minimum of 3-5 days is recommended to fully experience the beauty and activities that Exuma Cays has to offer.