Graz - Vacation Briefing
Graz, Austria is a charming city located in the southeastern part of the country. With its well-preserved historic center and stunning architecture, Graz offers a step back in time. The city is known for its beautiful medieval old town, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Additionally, Graz is surrounded by picturesque landscapes, including the Graz Basin and the Styrian Hills. Visitors can explore the numerous museums, art galleries, and theaters, or simply enjoy the vibrant atmosphere of the city's bustling squares. With a rich cultural scene and a mix of old-world charm and modern elements, Graz offers a unique travel experience.
Popular Sights in Graz
Things to do during your Graz vacation
Graz is a vibrant city located in Austria. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and diverse culture, there are plenty of things to do and explore. Whether you are interested in historical sights, outdoor activities, or local cuisine, Graz has something for everyone.
- Schlossberg: Visit the Schlossberg, a hill in the city center with beautiful views of Graz. Take a leisurely walk or ride the funicular to reach the top.
- Eggenberg Palace: Explore the magnificent Eggenberg Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its exquisite gardens and Baroque architecture.
- Kunsthaus Graz: Discover contemporary art at the Kunsthaus Graz, an architectural masterpiece with ever-changing exhibitions.
- Murinsel: Visit the Murinsel, an artificial island in the middle of the Mur river. It is a unique architectural landmark and a great place to relax.
- Styrian Armoury: Step back in time at the Styrian Armoury, the world's largest historic armory. Marvel at the impressive collection of weapons and armor.
- Graz Clock Tower: Climb the Graz Clock Tower and enjoy panoramic views of the city. Don't miss the clock show at noon.
- Herrengasse: Stroll along the picturesque Herrengasse, the main street of Graz. Admire the stunning architecture and shop at the boutiques.
- Mausoleum of Emperor Ferdinand II: Visit the Mausoleum of Emperor Ferdinand II, a beautifully preserved tomb with intricate marble decorations.
- Graz Cathedral: Explore the Graz Cathedral, a stunning example of Gothic architecture. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and art.
- Farmers' Market: Experience the vibrant Farmers' Market in Graz. Sample fresh local produce, cheeses, and delicacies from the region.
- Schloss Eggenberg Brewery: Take a guided tour of the Schloss Eggenberg Brewery and learn about the brewing process of traditional Austrian beers.
Why you should visit Graz
Graz, Austria is a pleasant destination with a mix of attractions and activities.
Graz has a low crime rate and is generally considered safe for tourists.
Graz is rich in culture, with a variety of museums, historical sites, and a diverse culinary scene.
Graz offers some options for nightlife, with a decent selection of bars and restaurants.
Graz doesn't offer many extreme adventure activities, but there are opportunities for hiking and exploring the nearby countryside.
While Graz may not have many natural relaxation spots, it offers parks and green spaces for a peaceful break.
Best time to visit Graz
Graz, Austria is a captivating city that offers a unique experience throughout the year. The best time to visit is from May to September when the weather is pleasant and the city comes alive with vibrant festivals and events.
A guide To your first day of Graz vacation
- Start your day with a visit to the Graz Opera House. Enjoy a guided tour and learn about the rich history of this cultural landmark.
- Head to the Schlossberg hill and take a leisurely walk to the top. Enjoy panoramic views of the city and explore the Clock Tower and the Bell Tower.
- Visit the Graz Old Town and explore the narrow streets lined with charming medieval buildings. Don't miss the Graz Cathedral and the Graz Armory.
- Take a relaxing stroll along the Mur River. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and stop by the Murinsel, a floating artificial island.
- Experience the vibrant nightlife in Graz by visiting one of the local pubs or wine bars. Enjoy some traditional Austrian food and drinks.
- Catch a performance at the Graz Opera House or one of the many theaters in the city. Experience the cultural scene of Graz.
- Go on a culinary adventure and indulge in a traditional Austrian dinner at one of the local restaurants. Don't forget to try the famous Styrian pumpkin seed oil.
- Take a romantic evening walk through the Graz Old Town. Enjoy the beautifully illuminated buildings and historic landmarks.
How to get to Graz
Vienna International Airport (VIE) and Munich Airport (MUC) are the major airports with excellent international connections for reaching Graz. VIE is well-connected to the city via a direct train service, making it a convenient option for travelers. MUC offers multiple daily flights to Graz, providing flexibility for planning your trip.
By other means
Graz is easily accessible by train, with regular services connecting the city to major European destinations such as Vienna and Munich. The central train station in Graz is conveniently located and serves as a transportation hub, making it easy to explore the city and its surroundings. Additionally, several bus routes provide convenient connections to neighboring cities and towns.
Tips for Booking Your Trip
Planning a trip can get tricky, right? Don't worry, we've got some solid advice to make your life easier. Here's how you can find flights and accommodations without a hitch.
Flights: How to Score the Best Deal
First things first, check out Google Flights. Their price calendar and nearby airport options are really useful. Found a good deal? Great, but hang on a sec—make sure you compare it with prices on Kayak, Skyscanner, Momondo, and Kiwi. A little research can go a long way.
Accommodation: Find Your Ideal Spot
For places to stay, start by scanning Booking.com and Airbnb to get an idea of what's out there. Then, level up your search by looking at Hostelworld and Agoda. Oh, and a quick tip: the hotel's own website might have some special offers, so give that a look too.
Ready to make some moves? The links you need are right below. Happy booking!
Best for travelers who are ...
History and culture enthusiasts, nature lovers
How long to stay in Graz?